MSMS Dominates Math and Science Tournament

MSMS+students+smile+proudly+with+the+awards+they+earned.+

Courtesy of Lauren Zarandona

MSMS students smile proudly with the awards they earned.

Alexz Carpenter, Social Media Editor

Last Thursday, some of the brightest students of MSMS went to Clinton, Mississippi to compete in the Science and Math Tournament at Mississippi College, where they consistently ranked in the highest percentiles of performers. In the 39th annual competition, Mississippi College hosted students from all over the state to participate in 50-minute tests in biology, chemistry, computer science, math and physics, along with a team competition portion.

Students can win up to 2,000 dollars in scholarships if they do well on the tests. Up to 1,000 students travel to compete in this tournament, and this year the top competitors were MSMS, South Pontotoc High School, Indianola Academy and Oak Grove High School.

Although MSMS was not allowed to participate in overall awards, they won first place in their quiz bowl division. The team consisted of Maria Kaltchenko, Gary Nguyen, Leah Pettit and William Johnson.

Maria Kaltchenko explained her personal experience in the quiz bowl competition. “The most exciting part of the tournament was the team competition portion, which was held in quiz bowl style. As captain, I had to raise my hand with the answer in a slip a paper as quick as possible. Overall, it was a very fun, fast-paced bonding experience that I’d love to take part in again!”

Many students scored in the top percentiles in their tests. William Johnson, Leah Pettit, Hamilton Wan and Gary Nguyen scored in the top one percentile of the math subject test. Victoria Gong, Maria Kaltchenko, Conner Chitmon and Aidan Dunkelberg scored in the top two percentile and Harpreet Singh, Ethan Trapolino and Michelle Luo scored in the top 10 percent of the math subject test.

Getting up at five in the morning took some work, but the competition was very fun and exciting! I loved meeting the other competitors.

— Hamilton Wan

In the Chemistry subject test, Maria Kaltchenko, Hamilton Wan, Gary Nguyen and Conner Chitmon scored in the top one percentile and Victoria Gong and Michelle Luo scored in the top two percentile.

“It was great! It was a great experience and I am glad that I was able to be a part of it,” junior Victoria Gong said.

In the Computer Science subject test, Steven Chung scored in the top three percentile.

In the Physics subject test, William Johnson and Aidan Dunkelberg scored in the top one percentile, Steven Chung scored in the top two percentile and Leah Pettit scored in the top three percentile.