Student Volunteers Show Appreciation For Contact Helpline

Students volunteering Thursday night

Vivienne Tenev, Graphics Editor, Cartoonist

The Thursday before Thanksgiving break, Goen Hall Director LaToya Bledsoe took a group of 15 students to Fairview Baptist Church to set up and attend Contact Helpline’s annual Commissioning and Volunteer Appreciation Program.

Contact Helpline’s website states that its program “provides both telephone crisis intervention and is an initial point of contact to the entire range of available community resources. Carefully trained volunteers assist callers through personal crisis and difficulty.” Additionally, Contact Helpline calls and assists the elderly and disabled who live alone, and seeks to promote awareness about the dangers of suicide.

The Contact Helpline Commissioning and Volunteer Appreciation Program celebrates and honors the time and effort volunteers put into helping others through this program.

This year marks MSMS’s third year of involvement in this event. Students who volunteer help set-up, tear down and serve food.

Senior Lydia Holley has volunteered for the appreciation program both junior and senior year. “This was my second year volunteering for Contact Helpline, and both years have been the best experience. The people are always so kind and caring, and I enjoy seeing how happy they are about the food and the service from the MSMS volunteers,” Holley said.

Senior John Bowlin also participated last year, and his experience led him to volunteer again this year. “The reason I volunteered is because I loved the experience I gained from last year. I love helping people out. The people from Contact Helpline work really hard and I believe that they need a night to take a break and eat some really good food. The people also are really kind and super nice,” he said.

At three years, MSMS’s involvement in the program is relatively new. Ms. LaToya elaborates on the how the school initially joined the program and future plans for further involvement: “Contact Helpline really appreciates the dedication and support of our students. The director of the center contacted me a few years ago about involving MSMS students more in the community with such events.  Actually, I am working with Contact Helpline now about the possibility of our students assisting and volunteering at MSU basketball games in the spring with concession stands, which would be a great service opportunity for all involved.”