Juniors Put Some Elbow Greece into 2019 Trip

Timothy Lewis

Juniors sit and listen to Mrs. Heintz’ presentation on the 2019 trip.

Timothy Lewis, Staff Writer

A small group of about 15 juniors gathered this week to discuss the location of the 2019 spring break trip.

Every year, Ms. Julie Heintz, history teacher at MSMS, and Ms. Dawn Barham, music faculty at the same, take a group of students to Europe during their spring break vacation.

“We’ve been on a lot of good trips for the past 10 years or so.  We’ve been to Paris, London, Normandy and so many other great places,” remarked Heintz.

The three options available for the 2019 trip were to go to western Iberia, Greece or southern Italy.

The tours themselves include a bilingual tour guide who accompanies the group throughout their trip, hotel accommodations and other amenities.  Unfortunately, the tour group is limited on time, as MSMS policy dictates that they must be back by the time spring break ends.

The group was split into factions, with the Greek and Italian trips winning the most popularity and votes.

The Iberian trip would visit historical sites such as Lisbon, Seville, and Madrid, where students can participate in traditional Spanish cultural activities such as Flamenco dancing.  The southern Italian trip would visit Rome and Sorrento, focusing on the ancient Roman architecture, and stopping by Vatican City and St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome.

“I think Rome is just a really beautiful place to go to; I’d look forward to trying all the food I can get my hands on!  I’m Catholic, so I’d also like to see the Vatican and the Basilica for the first time in my life,” said Sophia Garcia, one of those voting for the southern Italy trip.

Brady Suttles, one of those in the Greek camp, was not to be defeated.  “I really just want to experience the atmosphere of the Mediterranean.  I’d like to visit all of the various islands around the area, too.”

Thanks to the avid campaigning of Greek voters, the tie was broken in favor of the the Greek trip.

The Greek trip includes destinations like Athens, Mycenae and various small Mediterranean islands around the area.  Students will visit the Temple of Poseidon, the Acropolis, Olympia and other ancient temples and locations.

The group looks forward to being able to tour Europe in 2019.