Boys’ Soccer Team Aiming for a Great Season

Jilkiah Bryant

The MSMS Blue Waves practicing soccer outside of Pac.

Jilkiah Bryant, Staff Writer

The boys’ soccer team is excited for this upcoming season and is hoping for a better season from last year and to learn from last season.  They’ve learned a lot and they’re preparing themselves for the games ahead of them.

“Last season taught me that we as a team should focus more on conditioning no matter how miserable it is. In the rush of a game, conditioning eventually shows it importance, and we as a team must be ready,” explained team captain Yousef Abu-Salah.

And as soccer season is in it ready to begin, some key players will be showing their skills in the field.

“Myself, Daniel Leetran, Yousef Abu-Salah, and Beckett Voges-Haupt should be the key players to watch this year for goals and leadership,” stated team captain David Thaggard.

And while the Blue Waves are aided by experiences senior players, many new juniors are adding a fresh wave to the tide.

“Advaith Sunil should be interesting, because it is his first year playing keeper,” Thaggard added. And although it is only the beginning of the season, teammates are already showing important aspects of sportsmanship.

“I have to brag on my fellow junior, Josh Seid. He’s fast, competitive, and plays great soccer, ” said junior Richard Anderson. “A strong and consistent senior player is Harpreet Singh. The man can handle the ball and plays really well with other teammates on defense and offense.”

As the soccer season approached, certain players used the off-season to better prepare themselves for the upcoming year. It seems they felt if they worked a little harder, success would be closer on hand.

“While I was in Jordan this year teaching my students, I took a field trip to one of the local teams, and I got some exposure to them. I practiced with them throughout the summer, and it was a very enriching experience,” Abu-Salah explained.

This year the boys’ soccer team aims to win and grow throughout the entire season. In addition, they plan to make it to the playoffs. “This year, my main goal is to improve myself and others around me and have a successful season,” Andersen stated.