Pumpkin Patch Adventure

Sage Schaumburg, Entertainment Editor

Caledonia’s Country Pumpkins is a lovely local pumpkin patch that hosts many individuals every year, providing them with many fun activities and food to enjoy.

While all ages were welcome to this family-friendly event, most of the activities seemed to be targeted towards kids much younger than the MSMS students who journeyed there this past Saturday.

Playing in corn and cotton, stuffing scarecrows with hay, swinging on various swing-sets and riding around in the small train were many of the events targeted towards a younger audience. There were many parents bringing their eager children to have fun on the farm.

5 MSMS students went on this weekend excursion and their first stop was the Corn Maze. This five-dollar adventure to enter a cotton-shaped maze began with two goals: finding the exit, as well as finding 10 numbers hidden throughout the corn. Any successful individual who found all 10 numbers and wrote them on a card with their name, their phone number and the date was eligible to win a $100 gift certificate to Country Pumpkins.

Photographer: Kerrigan Clark
Likhitha Polepalli, Sierra Reynolds, Sage Schaumburg, Sarena Patel, and Elle Smith pose in front of a sign at the pumpkin patch

“It was an adventure,” commented junior Sierra Reynolds.

Photo opportunities littered the grounds, everything from the back of pickup trucks to goofy wooden stands with a hole cut out for your head.

There was also a hay ride ($2) that journeyed through a beautiful wooded area and out into more barren fields. The breeze from the open trailer was refreshing, but it was accompanied by an unwelcome guest. A type of wasp or bee terrorized hay-riders before a brave father killed it.

The day ended early with a stop to shop for pumpkins. There were many different gourds ranging in size, shape and color. Junior Elle Smith found many beautiful purchases, her favorite being a medium-sized, pastel-colored pumpkin. Bus-driver Ms. Nisa Moody also excitedly purchased a few of her favorite finds.

On the bus ride back, students pondered the worth of their experience.

“It was a bit of a waste of money, but it was worth it. It was worth getting away from my homework for a few hours,” said junior Likhitha Polepalli.

Overall they enjoyed the time spent together amongst the pumpkins.