Entrepreneurship Seminar with Ellie Patterson Deemed Success

Kerrigan Clark, Photography Editor

MSMS students gathered in Shackleford Auditorium on Oct. 14 for a seminar on Entrepreneurship.

Ellie Patterson, MSMS alumna of the Class of 2012, informed MSMS students about her adventures in starting her own dance business, Abilities Dance.  Abilities Dance was essentially designed so that all dancers, even those with physical disabilities, are able to perform professionally. With many students at MSMS wondering about starting their own business or just acquiring additional knowledge of the subject, this was a great opportunity to learn valuable skills.

Junior Samantha Anderson says, “When I first walked in, I thought she was going to just tell us about how good of a dancer she was, but I left knowing a lot more about starting my own business and taking care of the matters at hand.”

Patterson’s studio has been in the making for about two years now.  Even though she does not have a definite space, she is still making everything work by hosting shows in Boston.  Patterson told the group that even though being profitable is great, her being able to be in showcases really creates business opportunities for her company and allows her the opportunity to network and connect with potential customers.

Junior Taniya Bland says, “I thought that Ellie was a great representation of youthfulness in a very competitive industry, and I love how she was very open and engaged with everyone who attended.”  

Patterson also told the group that she eventually wants her business to become a non-profit organization and said that the best way for anyone thinking of starting a business through non-profits would be to apply for grants or to seek out investors.