National Merit Semifinalist Spotlight: Gary Nguyen

Peter Nguyen, Assistant Copy Editor/Assistant Entertainment Editor

Welcome to the second edition of the “National Merit Semifinalist Spotlight” where our student on the pedestal this week is the one and only Gary Nguyen. We “passed the microphone” to Nguyen and asked him a series of questions that would help some of our readers prepare for the upcoming PSAT and become more familiar with Nguyen in terms of his interests and goals.

Nguyen, as some may already know, is one of 12 MSMS students who received the honor of being named a National Merit Semifinalist by the College Board. Before arriving at MSMS, Nguyen was aware of the PSAT’s existence but had not appreciated its significance. “As a junior, it’s a bit difficult to understand the benefits of a test that don’t amount to much until a year later,” Nguyen stated. Despite having little understanding of the importance at the time, Nguyen still pushed towards success “with the mindset that taking the test will help [him] later on down the road,” as preached by the counselors at MSMS.

For the upcoming PSAT takers, Nguyen suggests devoting time into taking at least one uninterrupted session through an entire practice test. “This helps you solidify two things: your pacing and your test-taking strategy,” Nguyen expressed. Nguyen emphasizes the importance of understanding the type of skills that will be examined as well as searching for methods to approach the daunting task at hand.

During Nguyen’s spare time, he enjoys participating in the classic game of chess, as it is his “go-to pastime on any given day.” “The classic game has taught me in more ways than I could have ever imagined: not just opening theories and tactics but also leadership and community,” Nguyen stated. Additionally, Nguyen is the president of the MSMS Chess Club and an active member of Columbus’s Community Chess Club. One can also find Nguyen with a paddle in hand near a ping pong table every now and then. “I love the fast-paced thinking and intense rallies that occur often in a good game,” Nguyen expressed.

Like many other students, Nguyen says that MSMS has influenced him in many ways. “MSMS has been an eye-opening experience that has led me to believe that where you hail from does not necessarily define your legacy.” Nguyen went on to say that the school’s diversity has made him more appreciative of the fact that despite each student originating from various backgrounds, the populace shares a common goal: the desire to chase after one’s ambitions and pursue a higher education to better prepare taking on the world with the hopes of changing it for the better.

Nguyen hopes that when he passes, he will have left a positive, long-lasting contribution to society. “I like to think that how I do it is insignificant but rather the impact that my efforts will have is what will be the measure of my success.” Whether it be by playing a role in pushing the frontiers of the technological world as an aspiring electrical engineer or through uniting the masses of underprivileged communities with his passion for chess, Nguyen hopes that “the fruits of [his] works will outlive [him]” and continue to transform the lives of others for the better.