Alumni Feature of the Week: Jessica McKinnon

Jessica McKinnon poses with her husband and three children.

Hayden Stokley, Student Life Editor

Jessica McKinnon is a 2003 graduate of the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science. 15 years ago, she was a senior completing her final year. Now, McKinnon is an active community member, volunteer, and medical professional.

McKinnon spoke of many fond memories at MSMS. Some of her favorite events included student-led dances and community events. She discussed how those memories still resonate with her and her peers.

“I saw someone who was my senior this summer at Disney World, and he told my boys about my dance moves. Another fond memory was pilgrimage at Mr. Butler’s house. We even took pre-prom pictures at his beautiful house,” she stated.

Other memories played an influential role in the unfolding of McKinnon’s career. She was a participant of the first year of the mentorship program, an educational experience unique to MSMS that allows students to garner work experience in a real-world setting while engaging in career interests. McKinnon was an intern for the Baptist Memorial Hospital, where she worked in surgery, labor and delivery, and the ER.

“That was an impactful reason that I am in the medical field now,” she explained.

Alongside many academic opportunities, McKinnon also mentioned the life skills she acquired at MSMS. 

“I learned how to be independent and responsible for myself. I also learned how to interact with and respect people from all walks of life, which is a big deal coming from a very conservative community,” she said.

She delineated one especially common lesson that unifies MSMS students:

“I learned how to study! When my classmates were struggling through nursing school, I flew right through it. That’s because at MSMS, you really have to learn.”

After graduating, McKinnon married her husband, Chris McKinnon, and earned her nursing degree. She was nominated for Student Nurse of the Year for Mississippi in 2010 and served for Public Relations on the Mississippi Organization of Associate Degree Nurses Board from 2010 to 2011. Now, she works in studying mental health, but she has vast experience in a variety of medical fields.

McKinnon is also involved in events outside of medicine. She has volunteered in China, facilitating summer camps at orphanages where she later returned to adopt her youngest daughter.

“I have been to China as a missionary and also to adopt my third child,” McKinnon stated. “I also help coordinate internships for Chinese young adults to visit Mississippi.”

Now, McKinnon is back in school at the University of Lafayette to pursue her master’s degree in the nursing field.

“I will dual certify as a Family Nurse Practitioner and Mental Health NP,” she said.

McKinnon expressed that she understands the hectic nature of student life. However, she is grateful for her opportunities found in Mississippi’s only public residential STEM high school.

To current and future MSMS students, she recommended, “Just embrace and experience as much as you can!”