Res Life Member Hosts Hero Hall

Third+floor+north+chose+the+Flash+as+their+superhero.+

Courtesy of Flickr

Third floor north chose the Flash as their superhero.

Brady Suttles, Assistant News Editor

In an attempt to lift up the young men of Frazer Residential Hall, Residence Assistant Chavis Ivory is holding Hero Hall,  a competition between each wing of Frazer that is meant to encourage students to find their hero. The competition will be judged later this month by Ivory and Community Leader Ruth Latham.

Ivory commented on the inspiration behind Hero Hall.

“Hero Hall is about a someone being a superhero because, in this case, this is something we look up to in our childhood,” Ivory stated.

The program is meant to display the encouragement the residence life staff gives the students. Ivory stated that he wanted the program to include superheroes because the staff members are essentially superheroes to the young adults. With the amount of stress students have, this is a good opportunity to let loose and come together.  

The goal of the program is to see which wing of Frazer will decorate the best. Each wing voted on their own superhero, which include Flash, Captain America and Batman.

Ruth Latham commented on what she is going to be looking for when judging.

“I’m looking for the hall who has put the most thought in. If you just have the name of who your person is, then that’s not going to cut it. I want actual thought like if you draw something and have personal touches on it,” Latham described.

This is not the first program put on by Ivory. In September, he sponsored a program called “Rep Your Team Day,” which encouraged students to wear their team’s attire and participate in a volleyball game later that day.

The res life staff try to transition the students into the MSMS atmosphere by hosting these programs.

Outside of the residential halls, students are already fascinated and excited about this competition and its implications.

“I think Hero Hall is a really good opportunity for the boys and Frazer to experience some friendly competition but to also grow together as a community,” stated Junior Helen Peng.

“I’m going to decorate, but it would be really cool if the whole floor could pitch in and have fun,” added Junior Richard Andersen.

As of Oct. 30, no wing has been decorated; however, the winning floor will receive a week off room inspection and a pizza party.