PACCAR Provides Personalized Tour for MSMS

Members+of+Engineering+Club+and+MSMS+Engineering+Advisory+Board+visited+PACCAR+earlier+this+week.+

Kate Borsig

Members of Engineering Club and MSMS Engineering Advisory Board visited PACCAR earlier this week.

Mariat Thankachan, Co-Editor In Chief

With a passion for building structural designs and forming ties with local businesses, members of the MSMS Engineering Club and the MSMS Engineering Advisory Board payed a visit to PACCAR Engine Company on September 19.

Based just outside of Columbus, PACCAR is a global technology leader in the design and manufacture of truck motors. Around fifteen students received the opportunity to tour the manufacturing floor of the plant and experience the functions of the company.

Daniel Smothers, Engineering Club President, was able to hold a business meeting with the plant managers afterwards to discuss plans for the Engineering Club this year, such as Pinewood Derby competition and Santa’s Workshop.

“PACCAR is going to be part of our Engineering Advisory Board, so they will be giving advice as to what projects we should do, what projects we should move forward with, what we shouldn’t, and they also have the potential to help us with sponsorships. I think we had a very positive response from them, they were very interested in what we had to say and they really liked our ideas,” Smothers stated.

MSMS has countless students who hold an interest in the field of engineering, and touring the facilities of a local manufacturing operation aids in further educating these individuals on the various career opportunities in this field. Further, the plant manager and assistant plant manager at PACCAR have committed to assisting MSMS with finding engineers in the company who could serve as mentors for student projects.

Dr. Germain McConnell, MSMS Executive Director, described his views on the purpose of the tour. 

“We want our students to be aware of the career opportunities that exist in Mississippi.  Visiting companies such as PACCAR provides students insight into the inner operations of such a major company.  The companies in the Golden Triangle have a huge economic impact on this community and the state, and they are supplying goods all over the world.  As future leaders of Mississippi and the nation, we want our MSMS students to keep an open mind about the types of companies they would consider working for.  Companies such as PACCAR employ lots of engineers but also many other professionals,” McConnell explained. 

Not only were the students able to learn how the advances in technology and the continuous improvements of companies such as PACCAR operate more efficiently, but the Engineering Club officers also understood how to enhance their presentation skills since they presented before Engineering Advisory Board members and other professionals.

Sophia Pepper is a junior member of the Engineering Club, engaging in the opportunities she has to gain more knowledge on this field of study.

“I learned a lot about industrial manufacturing and how it’s spread out throughout the world. PACCAR is really a far spread out manufacturing system throughout the world and we learned how they integrate their work as the highest industrialized plant in Mississippi. I think PACCAR will provide a great opportunity to do internships and research, as well as just to learn from their tours,” Pepper described. 

While the students relished in the chance to increase MSMS’s focus on engineering, they realized that PACCAR and other companies in the Industrial Park are not just national companies, but also international companies. These companies hold interest in guiding MSMS students as these young individuals could help them enhance their operations and grow their businesses.