Chemistry Club in its New Element

Keely Brewer, Photography Editor

The Chemistry Club recently hosted its first meeting for the 2017-2018 school year that brought together more than twenty students interested in the opportunities and activities that this club has to offer.

The club met on Monday, August 28, in the room of the sponsor, Dr. Morgan, who is a chemistry teacher at MSMS. The meeting was hosted by Chemistry Club President, Yousef Abu-Salah; Co-President, Kevin Liao; and Reyhan Grims and Smith Patel who alternate between Secretary and Vice President.

The interest meeting focused on t-shirt designs, informing potential members of activities and trips that the club hopes to participate in, and discussing plans for this academic year. The primary goal of the club is to provide students with a strong interest in chemistry the opportunity to pursue their interest outside of the classroom.

Abu-Salah stated that he chose to take on the role of Chemistry Club President because he “felt that last year’s Chemistry Club lacked any passion and/or actual direction.” He hopes to “give the club direction and provide it with a better identity this year.”

Abu-Salah shared that “Last year, we managed to host various talks and other events that demonstrated chemistry’s beauty.” For the upcoming year, they plan “to have speakers from several universities as well as research students in order to learn about their research. We hope to also have the clubs take a hands-on approach with many of its activists, such as when we will be celebrating Mole Day,” Abu-Salah explained.

The club plans to meet once a month in Hooper Auditorium.

Advaith Sunil, a junior at MSMS, said “I decided to join Chemistry Club because I always liked Chemistry and a club devoted to it sounded like something that would be fun.” A club like this was not available at his previous school. Sunil is “most excited to hear the speakers that have been invited to speak at the meetings.”