MSMS Offers SAT

Jim+Zhang+prepares+for+his+SAT+test+on+Saturday.+

Jim Zhang prepares for his SAT test on Saturday.

Brady Suttles, Assistant News Editor

The SAT test was held at Hooper Academic Building on the campus of MSMS to allow current MSMS students and nearby Columbus students an opportunity to take the standardized test. This is a convenience the school offers so students will not have to return to their home schools on the weekends to take the test.

The test was administered on August 26, 2017.

Mariana Strawn, a current senior at MSMS, has never taken the SAT before, but “feels pretty prepared to take it because coming to MSMS has helped with Math and English.”

Strawn prepared by taking multiple practice tests and brushing up on skills in Math and English.

Aidan Dunkelberg, a former SAT-taker, believes the math classes offered here “especially prepared me for the math section by freshening up my skills in the subject.” Dunkelberg took the test in hopes of scoring higher than what he previously had on the ACT. The PSAT preparation he received here also helped him.

“I don’t think the SAT is any harder than the PSAT,” Dunkelberg stated. “It just contains more materials.”

To become a National Merit Finalist, one must take the SAT along with the PSAT.

This is the reason senior Jim Zhang took the test Saturday. Zhang prefers the SAT over the ACT because of the time constraints that come with the ACT. To prep for the test, he used two different resources.

“I recommend using the College Board prep book and the Princeton Review prep book,” Zhang said.

Along with the knowledge he received from teachers here, Zhang used these two guides to help him succeed on the test.

There are many different means of practicing for the SAT, but being taught by the number one teachers in the nation is the best preparation any student could receive. This is just another way MSMS gives students “an opportunity for excellence.”