‘Tales’ Raises Over $6,000 for Charity

Beckett Voges-Haupt

“Tales from the Crypt” performers and crew discuss the options for charitable donations.

Beckett Voges-Haupt, Layout Editor

Each year after “Tales from the Crypt” concludes its final performance, the next step in serving the community is to decide which charities and organizations students will donate their proceeds to.

Over the four performance nights, the 2017 “Tales” had a total attendance of 1,947 and raised more than $6,000 for charity. Out of the raised amount each year, Mr. Chuck Yarborough designates half of the funds to the Columbus Cultural Heritage Foundation. The foundation is a non-profit group that supports Columbus-Lowndes County historic preservation. “Tales” relies heavily on the historic preservation of Columbus, which is why Yarborough donates to the foundation each year.

After the Columbus Cultural Heritage Foundation donation, this year’s students had $3,000 to send out as donations to other groups. The “Tales” students divided the $3,000 into four separate amounts for charities. They donated $1,000 to the Batson Children’s Hospital at University of Mississippi Medical Center, $1,000 to Lantern Clinic, $500 to the Save1Pet Foundation and $500 to the Fallen Riders Foundation.

The Batson Children’s Hospital works to help children in need, and it was nominated by an MSMS parent, who argued for the importance of the organization and its connection to the MSMS community.  “There is a couple in Columbus at the Air Force Base that recently lost a child at Batson Children’s Hospital at University of Mississippi Medical Center. There is a fund set up in tribute to him…It could be a great story in the Columbus area to connect MSMS to the AFB and a great story here in Jackson.”

The Lantern Clinic was nominated by Gabby Kennedy and is a free clinic that treats working patients who cannot afford health insurance.

The Save1Pet Foundation was nominated by Anna Smith, and is a charity located in Olive Branch, Mississippi, that works to help save dogs from kill-shelters.

The Fallen Riders Foundation, nominated by Evan Bridges, runs on donations to help the families of injured or killed motorcycle riders.

Yarbrough praised his students’ choices of charities. “I think all 13 of the charities nominated were outstanding charities. They chose to help children, people involved in accidents and animals. The culmination of the project which is a community service project is to decide how to better the community, and I am pleased with the choices.”

The “Tales” project has raised $31,000 dollars in the past six years.