MSMS Students Win Big at FBLA Competition

Dr. Kayla Hester

Competitors from MSMS pose at the FBLA Competition. From left: Brianna Ladnier, Aurelia Caine, Calissa Henry, Devon Matheny, Sophia Ali, and Anna Katherine Overstreet.

Noah Hunt, Editor in Chief

On Thursday, February 23, six MSMS students went to the Future Business Leaders of America Regional Competition at Northeast Mississippi Community College in Booneville, MS. Out of the five that competed, all students placed in the top three in their respective categories and will advance to the state competition in April. Students competed in a variety of categories including Accounting, Marketing, and Word Processing.

For first year sponsor Dr. Kayla Hester, the competition was a new experience. “This is my first time going to one of these, so I don’t really know what to expect,” she said.

Hester also shared that students mostly did their own preparations. “It’s mostly individual preparation for the competitions. We meet to touch base on when the competitions will happen, dress code, procedures, stuff like that. Preparing for competition is mainly what they’ve been focused on so far, although we may do some fundraisers and things in the upcoming months,” she said.

Junior leader and state officer Brianna Ladnier made a similar statement, saying “There are several online tests and study guides which members utilized beforehand.” Ladnier also said that for the next competition, “They will prepare in the same manner.”

The full list of winners has been placed below:

3rd in Accounting – Anna Overstreet

1st in Marketing – Sophia Ali, Devon Matheny, and Calissa Henry

1st in Word Processing – Aurelia Caine