MSMS Celebrates Black History with “A Night at The Apollo”

Lyndsey Risinger

The MUW United Harmony Choir performing at “A Night at The Apollo: A Celebration of Black History”

Lyndsey Risinger, Assistant Sports Editor

On Thursday, February 9th, Goen Hall Community Leader Jessica Trigg hosted “A Night at The Apollo”, an event celebrating black history month. The event, which took place from 7-8:30 p.m., featured performances from the Mississippi School for Math and Science’s Blue Notes, the Mississippi University for Women’s Audacity Dance Team, the Mississippi University for Women’s United Harmony Choir, and a handful of MSMS students.

The show took place in three main portions, presenting a chronological depiction of black history. Throughout each portion, MSMS students acted as an influential African-American from the time period in which they performed, the first being the Harlem Renaissance, the second the Civil Rights Movement, and the third the Present Day.

Trigg said she was inspired to organize the event because “black history is a very important topic to me, as I am an African-American female. I think it is important for people of all races to partake in the celebration of everybody’s culture. I also noticed there was a need for some cultural representation.”

The event focused on highlighting African-American people who greatly contributed to the progression of society throughout the history of the United States.

Preparing for the program was, in Ms. Trigg’s words, “a long, arduous journey.” Trigg also added that the greatest challenge in organizing the event was “getting everyone together at the same time; everyone had obligations and other educational responsibilities.” Observers feel this effort all paid off in the end as the event went off without a hitch.

Trigg says that from this event she hopes “to see an increase of cultural representation and celebration, not just for black history but for other races as well.”