Last Friday Night, Students Roasted Marshmallows Beside A Blazing Fire

Marshmallows were roasted over an open fire on Friday.

Allyson Espy

Mariat Thankachan, Photography Editor

Several students took advantage of the warmth of a golden campfire last Friday night behind Frazer residence hall, where they cozied up beside the crackling flames and spent hours chatting away while roasting marshmallows on sticks.  

The “Let’s Tell Stories” event served as a relaxing way for the students to slow down and take time off of their busy schedules. Mr. Thomas Robinson, the mastermind behind this idea, described his inspiration for organizing this event.

“The idea basically just came to me from reflection. I was thinking about an activity to present to the MSMS student population when the idea just hit me.  As a former Mississippi State University student, I had previously observed students engaging in campfire activities. Then, the thought of engaging in campfire activities evolved into a reminder about marshmallows being roasted.  With those two reflective thoughts, the idea of a ‘Marshmallow Roast’ appeared,” he said.

The participants all expressed how the activity benefited them. Junior Myles Spillers said, “At first, we had coals so we had to build a fire with actual sticks. It was really cool, we sat around, talked, and roasted marshmallows. Most of us set our marshmallows on fire but it is what it is.”

Mr. Robinson added, “The Students enjoyed assisting with building the fire. This allowed an opportunity for the students to bond as an assorted effort to build the fire required working together as a team.”

The marshmallow roast was a great way for the students to form connections with their peers by telling adventurous stories beside the fiery flames while munching on roasted marshmallows.