Intro to Engineering

Kallia Cooper

Intro to Engineering is a new class offered by the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science that meets during 5th period on Tuesdays and Thursdays and is offered as a college-level course, though it does not have any prerequisites to join. The class is all seniors this semester, held on the Mississippi State campus and taught by Dr. James Warnock. Seniors Holiday Garrison and Larry Stokes said they want to go into engineering and hope this class can help them figure out which field they might like best. 

The college-level class offered through Mississippi State University’s highly acclaimed engineering program is held on MSU campus.

MSU offers many program within its engineering department, including Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, among many others. Because MSU has so many different fields of engineering, it’s possible that those in the Intro to Engineering class will get to learn about all those listed above along with many others.

Thus far, the class has had a lot of lectures as well as activities to help students understand what it means to be an engineer.

“We are mainly doing in class activities to practice planning, concept maps, and technical writing, and we usually present it as well,” said Stokes.

The class  seems to be helping students learn about what it really takes to be an engineer. Holiday said, “The class is a lot of fun and it’s really helping me learn the planning behind engineering and all the ‘behind-the-scenes’ type of stuff.”

So if you’re really into engineering, or if you just want to find out more about it, Intro to Engineering just may be the class for you.