A Club for the World’s Tragedies: Forgotten Stories

Mariat Thankachan

Club President, Yousef Abu-Salah, presents the purpose of the club

Mariat Thankachan, Photography Editor

There are innumerable tragic stories of suffering in this world, so sometimes it becomes difficult to feel as though we are capable of making a change. To combat this feeling, a group of MSMS students has decided to come together in the Forgotten Stories Club and recognize the tormenting complications the world faces.

“The vision of the club is to bring awareness to issues not only in our country and community, but all over the world. If we can, we will try to help and do something about them, whether its fundraising or other things like that,” explains Ms. Kayla Hester, club sponsor.

To gain knowledge of world news, the group will bring speakers in for discussions, and allow their own members to display presentations of any passionate topics. Yousef Abu-Salah, president, states his goals for the year: “I expect that we can change a lot of our community and the world, and our main goal is to raise awareness for these issues that plague our country and the world. I hope that we can at least put a little smile on anyone’s face.”

The club members will vote on a tragedy to cover for each month, and then promote the cause through posters or articles. During their interest meeting on August 30th, it was established that the tragedy of the month would be the Syrian Crisis.

Gabby Kennedy, a junior, describes the reason she joined the club, “I think that this club is a really good and creative idea. I’ve never seen anything like this before, and I think it’s a really good opportunity to learn more about people, other countries, and cultures. To learn about what they’re going through and try to get a better understanding of what’s going on in the world around us because most of the time we’re just focused on what’s going on here in the U.S. and how we’re so fortunate but we don’t really understand what’s going on outside.”