MSMS Volleyball Ends Its First Season

Courtesy Photo

The MSMS Blue Waves and West Lowndes girls Volleyball team at Stark

Maliah Wilkinson, Staff Writer

Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science Blue Waves Volleyball team played its final volleyball game of the year May 7 against the West Lowndes County Lady Panthers.

“It was a good learning experience for us and the West Lowndes County Lady Panthers. I was told that this was the first time some of the Lady Panthers played or even served a ball, although they did play well. After the game I was even encouraged to keep playing. Other teams look out for us next year,” Team Captain Angella Osinde said.

The game lasted one hour with three out of the five games played in favor of the MSMS Team A. In attendance was MSMS Coach Veleria Scott and two Lady Panthers coaches. Although most of the Lady Panthers team was new to the sport, some have commented that they made up for their inexperience with heart and determination.

Ari Jefferson, another Blue Waves team member said, “I feel great playing with other people from MSMS on the team.”

The current MSMS volleyball team consists of eight members: Osinde, Darby Meadows and Raven Ferguson were the only members able to participate in Saturday’s game. Osinde hopes to have 10 members for the upcoming school term with one senior graduation this May. Since the team’s inception in Oct. of 2015 they have played two games, one at Columbus High and the other at Stark Recreational Facility. The team practices two days a week for one hour each day.

Darby Meadows, the MSMS team assistant student coach said, “The game was good, but it was kinda sad cause only three MSMS kids came. It really helped Raven learn more because it was her first game. When our team was winning, our coach said to let them score a point, but their coach said it was a game and they needed to learn, which was really cool.”

This is Meadows’ second match at MSMS. She has more than six years of experience years on the JV and Varsity teams at Oxford High prior to attending MSMS. Overall, the MSMS Blue Waves Volleyball team has big plans for the 2017 school year and they hope even more students sign up in the coming years.