Next Generation of Emissaries are Up for Selection

Christian Donoho, News Editor

With the departure of the senior class fast approaching, there are important decisions to be made on who will fill the emissary positions that will inevitably be left vacant. As the junior class completes their first year at MSMS, the responsibility for filling these positions will fall on them.  

An emissary is the representative of the school and they are tasked with the responsibility of welcoming the incoming junior class and helping them adjust to the residential and academic life of their new.

“I enjoyed helping the juniors. It was an enlightening experience listening to their needs and helping them to adjust to their new home,” said Rhet Hailey, a current emissary.

But another major responsibility is representing the school to outsiders by touring parents or other important people. The emissaries also played a significant role in the visit from the North Carolina School for Science and Mathematics.

There are qualities that emissaries are required to have in order to meet these duties. “An emissary has to be nice and friendly because they have to help the juniors adjust to MSMS life,” said Kameron Chow, another emissary. “You need to demonstrate good leadership skills because the juniors are following your example for a period of time.”

Achintya Prasad is looking to become an emissary, “I thought it’d be nice to help juniors adjust to MSMS and get used to how the school works.”

Other juniors are also applying. Chris Slagell expressed his reasoning, “It seemed like a great opportunity to connect with the incoming juniors and to be a guiding, positive force in their lives.”

The overwhelming sentiment for the prospective emissaries is one of selflessness and to be a helpful influence on the lives of the students that will make up the future of MSMS.