Why It is OK to Not Be the Best at Math Competitions

Navin Soloman/The Vision

Senior Vasu Srevatsan at Mu Alpha Theta Convention.

Joy Carino, Copy Editor

The annual Mississippi Mu Alpha Theta Convention was held on April 10-11, 2016 on the Hinds Community College in Jackson. Mu Alpha Theta clubs throughout Mississippi gathered to compete in various math competitions: written subject tests, group ciphering tests and other team math competitions. It is a time to convene with math enthusiasts from other Mississippi high schools and even have a go at a friendly competition based on earning points from winning math competitions and even from making a school banner, scrapbook and video.

Junior Braeden Foldenauer was elected state president for the organization for the 2016-2017 school year; the current president is senior Kishan Patel. This year’s theme was “Mathopoly: the Mathematics of Games.” Below is a personal perspective of MSMS chapter of Mu Alpha Theta member Joy Carino.

“We’re the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science! If we don’t get first place at Mu Alpha Theta Convention, then what are we even here for?”

This is the general attitude mathematics teachers and most students hold about MSMS students (and those students who attended Mu Alpha Theta convention). We are the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science. Math is what we do, what we love, what we live and die for. So, therefore, we are the best at math. Right?

Mu Alpha Theta is a national club that exemplifies excellence in mathematics. This club means different things at different schools. At my old high school, Mu Alpha Theta meant attending occasional morning meetings with donuts and cool ViHart Youtube videos. At MSMS, Mu Alpha Theta means attending weekly math competitions (which can be intimidating), competing against schools across the country and competing against each other (in friendly competition, of course) either for the highest math scores, the better officer position, or for bragging rights. I might be biased because I’m not the greatest at math competitions, but this is how I (and many others) sometimes perceive the Mu Alpha Theta culture at MSMS.

However, I notice a different approach to Mu Alpha Theta when it involves outreach. I personally love Mu Alpha Theta’s numerous outreach opportunities in the local area. I especially love how these outreach opportunities are meaningful experiences for both MSMS volunteers and the elementary or middle school students they serve. Through Mu Alpha Theta, we’ve used fun, hands-on creative ways to teach fractions, mean-median-mode, intense problem solving and more. We have fun with the kids, and they have fun, too. Mu Alpha Theta volunteers have been to Heritage Academy, Columbus Middle School, Caledonia Elementary, and Central Elementary in West Point. They have created math problems for an elementary math competition (Math Superstars) and helped make online tutorials for these math problems to send out to elementary schools around the area. Mu Alpha Theta volunteers have made a difference in the community, and that is something to be proud.

Mu Alpha Theta is not about getting first place at a math competition. It is not about being the best at math. It is not even about winning bragging rights. It is about loving mathematics, enjoying how numbers, logic, chance, probability and data cooperate and conflict in this large, beautifully complex world. It is about sharing this appreciation and love of mathematics to others.

To all students and teachers who may be salty towards MSMS’s humble third place position at Mu Alpha Theta, just remember: It is okay. Sure, we should have practiced more and not procrastinated. Sure, we should have had a more cohesive team, sharper minds and more sleep. However, what other school could have the greatest math experience than what we have here at MSMS, with the mathematics faculty, the camaraderie of those in Mu Alpha Theta, and the general math geekiness? I believe that in itself is another thing to be proud.

Next year, as more math lovers, science lovers, and lovers-of-learning come to MSMS and join Mu Alpha Theta, I hope they gain more than just a shining first place trophy (though I hope for that as well). I hope they learn to love mathematics and share that love and excitement with others, even others like me who did not truly start loving math until they experienced it at the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science.