What Are You Doing for College? Issue 3: Robert Simmons

Courtesy of Heath Stevens

Senior Robert Simmons enjoys his time at prom but not in college admissions.

Joy Carino, Copy Editor

Background

Robert Simmons is from Ridgeland. At MSMS, Simmons enjoys holding doors for people and being generally nice, giving hugs here and there and providing the occasional word of assurance that everything is (probably) going to be okay. Simmons is also known for sitting in MSMS chemistry teacher Elizabeth Morgan’s AP Chemistry class for multiple same class periods. He also likes to walk around offering cashews and Cheez-Whiz cans to everyone.

Intended Study and Career Plans

According to Simmons, he hopes to major in “freeloading.” Though no colleges seem to offer this major, it could be assumed to relate to business and entrepreneurship. Simmons also said that he hopes to “opt in to unemployment,” “being a motivational speaker,” and “being a frog.” He also plans on living in a van down by the river. “Bram actually got me a good deal with it,” he said.

College Choices

Senior Connor MacNamee said, “Every time I mention college around Robert, he starts laughing, but he also starts crying.”

Simmons said, “I wasted my life away holding a door for too long and wasted my chance to go to college.” Simmons continued, “I made a giant list of randomly generated numbers to pick for me. That’s what I’ve learned in stats.”

Advice to Juniors

Simmons advice to juniors is, “I’d highly suggest going to college. Don’t be like me. Apply to college. Go to college.” Simmons hopes that upcoming juniors do not lose hope because, as he said, “I’ve lost all hope in the college admission system.” According to him, the problem is “the system.” Though this may seem to be a cryptic response, Simmons is probably expressing frustration with the current high-pressure “go to college” culture, especially at MSMS. Though not necessarily pressed by the teachers or by the school itself, students often put much pressure on themselves or are pressured by their peers. Perhaps Simmons is expressing a rejection from the path most traveled. However, he also said, “There are reasons there are some paths less traveled.”

End Note

Simmons is actually going to college. He will likely attend Mississippi State University next year.