Coming-of-Age Decisions: Body Art

Shelbi Allen, Staff Writer

When someone turns 18, he or she has many more legal allowances and responsibilities as an adult. Students at MSMS are beginning to reach the point where they can make decisions about tattoos and piercings. In Mississippi, people cannot get tattoos under the age of 18, just like they cannot get piercings anywhere other than the ear under the age 18. Ear piercings are acceptable with parental consent for minors.

As for MSMS rules on tattoos and piercings, there are not any restrictions on tattoos. Piercing regulations are found on page 29, part (e) of the student handbook. Under the additional dress code rules that apply in academic buildings during the academic day, on field trips and during MSMS assemblies/special events, “earrings, studs, or other items of adornment in pierced body parts other than the ear(s) are not allowed.”

Faculty member Dr. Thomas Easterling says that the biggest issue with putting a tattoo rule in place would be the generational gap between the faculty and students and even within the faculty.

Senior Kendall Palmer plans on getting tattoos when she turns 18. She said, “I’m most excited for having art expressed on my body. Art that I love, that represents me, that carries heavy symbolism in my life. The longevity of tattoos [also] excites me. They are things I’ve wanted for years, and I’m excited to be able to say I [will] have a record of my life on my body when I’m old, even when the tattoos don’t look so great on my wrinkly skin.”

When people get tattoos, their tattooists have specific instructions for taking care of the art. Technically, a fresh tattoo is an open wound, as the needles pierce the mucous membrane of the body. Immediately after the procedure, the tattooist covers the tattoo with a bandage that should stay on for one to two hours.

Once the bandage is removed, the tattoo needs to be gently hand-washed with scentless, antibacterial soap and pat-dried with a clean paper towel or cloth towel. When the area is dry, it is recommended that the new tattoo is covered in ointment – recommended by the tattooist – or scentless, light lotion. This procedure should be repeated twice or three times a day for two to three weeks, depending on the specific artist’s recommendation.

Senior Shawna McKissack has two tattoos. She said, “I think that tattoos are a form of self-expression and that in itself  is worth it because even if they fade and sag over time, they’re a part of you and represent things that are dear enough to you to have on you forever.”

Senior Mary Madeline LaMastus has a different view of tattoos and their longevity. She said, “I’m not a fan of the longevity of tattoos ​for my body personally, but it’s doesn’t offend me if someone else chooses that for themselves. That’s their body, and it doesn’t effect me at all. I think they can definitely reflect personalities. My best friend is actually planning on getting a tattoo with her father’s favorite flower. He died from cancer when she was 11, and it’s a way for her to remember him. She’s really considerate person, so that reflects her personality. On the other hand, I suppose they can be superficial, but that’s up to the person to decide.”

Since my birthday in December, I have gotten three tattoos. After two weeks of healing, all three were incredibly itchy. When you get your tattoo, do not scratch it. How you treat your tattoo during the healing process will determine what it looks like for the rest of your life, and scratching it has the potential to ruin the tattoo. It is similar to picking scabs and receiving scars.

Properly caring for a new piercing is also important, but people are usually more aware of how easily piercings can get infected because you can see that it is an open wound. When the area has been pierced, it should be washed regularly with scentless, antibacterial soap and water for approximately a month.

My ear lobes are pierced, and I have two cartilage piercings. Personally, I think it is easy to let piercings get infected. Early stages of infections closely resemble the swelling, heat and oozing of regular healing. Many people mistake the infection for healing until the fluids become discolored and the swelling accelerates. The ear becomes much more inflamed with infection. If you suspect an infection at all, contact your general practitioner.

As for the process of the piercing, I recommend needle piercings. For those who do not know what that means, there are two forms of professional piercing: needle and gun. Piercing guns are usually not as sanitary, as a fresh one is not used for each piercing; they also crush the cartilage around the desired piercing, which make it take longer to heal. Needles are fresh out of packaging for each piercing, and there is almost no damage around the pierced area. Most tattoo parlors that perform piercings use needles.

While tattoos and piercings are beautiful forms of self-expression, students should take time to think about getting them beforehand. That seems like common sense, but tattoos and piercings get the worst publicity through people who do not think about their decisions before they make them. Tattoos especially are permanent, and the artwork is worth the extra thought.