Faculty Spotlight: Dr. Scott Curtis

Dr. Scott Curtis sitting in his office

courtesy of themsms.org

Dr. Scott Curtis sitting in his office

Noah Hunt, Staff Writer

In the back corner of Hooper 108 lies the office of Dr. Scott Curtis. Curtis has taught at MSMS for 22 years, and, as one of the longest standing teachers at the school, is well respected according to both his peers and students.

A Jackson, Miss. native, Curtis obtained an undergraduate degree in history from Belhaven University before getting a master’s degree in history from Mississippi College, and finally getting a PhD in English from the University of Alabama. Curtis started teaching at MSMS following stints at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama, as well as various high schools in Mississippi and North Carolina.

When asked about his favorite part of teaching at MSMS, he replied “I enjoy the students; they are intelligent and polite,” before adding, “I enjoy being able to teach the classes that I teach, and I enjoy my colleagues here as well.”

His feelings towards his students seem to be reciprocated; a junior currently in one of his University English courses said “I love Dr. Curtis. He gets straight to the point when teaching and doesn’t waste our time by keeping us longer than is necessary.”

His colleagues are also appreciative of him, with fellow English teacher and office mate Dr. Thomas Easterling stating “Dr. Curtis’ wide and deep reading, his keen sense of humor, and his dedication to craft make him an ideal teacher and colleague.”

Curtis says that his favorite class to teach is probably Classical Literature I, although he also teaches University English I and II, as well as Classical Literature II. When asked if he has enjoyed his time teaching, he responded with two words: “Very much.”