Working Out Between the Homework

YouTuber SarahKayPop gives K-Pop Dance Workouts from a room very similar in size to MSMS dorms.

Carly Sneed, Online Editor

In a follow up to last week’s
article on healthy eating in the dorms, this week I’ve reached out to students at the MSMS for some suggestions on working out and keeping.

It should first be mentioned that there are extraordinarily nice facilities on campus that most high schoolers would envy. Stark Recreation Center is free for all MSMS students, and houses a swimming pool, an indoor track, racquetball courts and a weight room also equipped with treadmills and cardio workouts. Stark also offers fitness programs, such as yoga and hip hop line dancing, which are also open to MSMS students. However, if working out at Stark is not for you, many free options remain for getting in shape.

The RecFitness Schedule for Spring, 2016

Many students suggested workouts you can find on YouTube. Thirty days of Yoga with Adrienne came up often, and many students mentioned that it was an easy way to start exercising. Blogilates also came up often, and once I looked into I found a humongous community that swears by it. BeFiT is another YouTube channel that is easy to endorse simply due to the wide range of programs they have. From yoga to ab workouts, there is almost definitely something right for you there. Thanks to Laurel Lancaster and Brenna Paola for these suggestions.

For those who need more entertainment in a workout (me) there are a wide variety of YouTube videos based off of the dance workout program Zumba. Dance Fitness with Jessica has a lot of uploads with popular music, or you can search “Dance Workout” and look for a genre of music you like. There is something for everyone; my absolute favorite way to work out is to dance along to sarahkaypop’s Korean pop music workouts.

If YouTube is not for you, one suggestion is to use your social media as inspiration. Christina Epps follows workout inspiration blogs on Instagram, and this keeps her motivated and gives her exercise tips. The workout programs Instagram and snapchat are examples of this.

An example of the the workoutprograms instagram

Maggie Ford also suggests that you put your app store to use. The Official 7 Minute Workout app is a free beginner friendly workout that allows you to squeeze in some activity when you are busy or repeat it for a truly savage calorie burn. Workout Trainer (also available through Google Play) gives you step by step audio and video for your workouts, and is also free. FitStar also receives good reviews. It claims to work as your personal trainer, providing workouts just for you.

The Mayo Clinic suggests that you get at least 30 minutes of activity a day, and with resources like these it is easy. These workouts only require an internet connection and a $10 workout mat at the very most. Gather the friends and make it social, or stay by yourself for some “me time,” just make sure that you keep it healthy with some easy exercise!