MSMS National Merit Finalists Announced

Christian Donoho, News Editor

In a stunning display of standardized test-taking prowess, 11 students from MSMS have achieved the status of National Merit Finalists from taking the PSAT. Nathan Barlow, Connor Bluntson, Rachel Bobo, Tyler Etheridge, Elizabeth Lanford, Michelle Li, Jason Necaise, Ella Stone, Gregory Thompson, Isaiah Williams and Meilun Zhou were all named as finalists, opening many doors for high profile scholarships and other opportunities in college.

“Being a National Merit finalist has given me the opportunity to consider options that would have never been possible before. I’m extremely grateful for the recognition. This allows me to choose colleges that were previously out of my reach financially,” said Etheridge.

According to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation Website, 1.5 million students across the nation participated in the competition with the top 50,000 up for recognition in the National Merit Scholarship Program. The MSMS students placed at least a score of 209, the cutoff score in the state of Mississippi to reach the level of “Commended Students.” However, these students have gone even farther, becoming semifinalists, and even more prestigious, finalists in the program. Students from this list will be selected to become winners in the competition and will be named National Merit Scholars in April.