Our Vision: Be mindful when it comes to club commitments

The Vision Editorial board presents their opinion on the MSMS club affiliation process.

Editorial Board

Clubs are one of the most important aspects of student life at MSMS, and the majority of students take part in at least one.

Each club offers students different experiences outside of the school’s standard curriculum. For example, interact Club gives students the chance to participate in community services projects; Astronomy Club and the various language clubs allow students to learn about subjects they may be unable to in the classroom; and NAACH Club, Drama Club and Strings Club let students showcase their creativity in the performing arts.

Despite the importance of clubs at MSMS, a similar issue surrounding them arises every year: students sign up for too many clubs. In fact, this problem is so prevalent it is often considered a rite of passage among MSMS students, causing the issue to seem much less important than it is.

We believe students — especially juniors unfamiliar with MSMS’s workload — should take care to ensure they do not overload themselves by signing up for too many clubs, thereby avoiding burnout and being spread too thin throughout the year. 

When choosing how many clubs to join, we believe it is important to consider one’s current course load and other extracurriculars. AP and dual-enrollment courses are likely to be very time consuming, and ensuring one has enough time to study and complete homework and projects is crucial to success in these advanced classes. Furthermore, students planning on participating in research and mentorships should also make sure they will have enough time for the programs. 

However, we do not want to completely discourage students from signing up for certain clubs they are interested in out of fear they will overload themselves. We believe it is important to remember each club has a different level of commitment. For example, clubs centered around hobbies such as Cooking Club and Film Club will be much less time consuming than clubs such as Drama Club or The Vision.

When signing up for clubs, we believe students should carefully consider their various time commitments to make the best out of their time at MSMS. 

The Vision editorial board consists of Editor-in-Chief Lexi Holdiness, Co-Managing Editor and Opinion Editor Hangila Ceesay, Co-Managing Editor and Lead Copy Editor Chloe Dobbins, Co-Managing Editor and News Editor Madison Echols, Editor-at-Large Sophie Hines, Graphics Editor Addie White and Entertainment Editor Christina Zhang.