Drama Club Hosts Improv Night

Christian Donoho, News Editor

The Drama Club performed one of their many “Improv Nights” on Jan. 27, a night of unscripted comedy with a mixture of prompts provided by the audience and club members. Despite the fact that the acts themselves are made up on the fly, there is a lot of preparation that goes into these performances.

Sasha Edwards, co-president of Drama Club, said, “multiple runs of random improv prompts and constant breathing exercises,” are part of the preparation for these nights.  Jax Dallas, a junior member of the club, said, “In dramatic performance class we have been doing numerous improv skits since day one so we have slowly learned to think on our feet and play off our classmates’ actions. Before we step on stage to perform the skit, we have approximately fifteen seconds to establish the general direction the skit is going to go in.”

(left to right) West Givens and Sasha Edwards, co-presidents of Drama Club and participants in Improv Night.
Christian Donoho/The Vision
West Givens, left, and Sasha Edwards, co-presidents of Drama Club and participants in Improv Night.

The preparations worked to impress the audience as they erupted into laughter all throughout the performances, from the passive aggressive family dinner, to the Donald Trump monologue, to the father and daughter on their first fishing trip.

“Walking on stage before an audience knowing that you will have to perform with very little preparation can be a terrifying feeling, but once the skit gets started you almost forget that the audience is there,” Dallas said.

Edwards believes the improv team handled the pressures well and praised their ability to work as a team. “I am most proud of the teamwork that went into making the night as successful as it was. The fact that we were able to bring together people who before this semester never really talked to each other and perform a great show was impressive,” Edwards said.

With more improv nights planned, the drama club is preparing to deliver as well as several scripted performances.

Edwards concluded, “I think that the night was a success in its own right, and with new people each year, each Improv Night has its own set of standards to meet. I feel that we definitely met our standards.”