MSMS puts students at ease during COVID pandemic

Courtesy of Audrey Robinson

Regulations created by MSMS administration, especially with regard to Residence Life, have eased students’ minds during the pandemic.

Kyla Roberts, Staff Writer

Many MSMS students say they feel safe on campus — while both attending class and living in the dorms — as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic continues to add uncertainty to everyday life.

MSMS has plenty of protocols for keeping the spread of the coronavirus in check. Masks are required in all buildings, and social distancing is mandatory. People who are unvaccinated are required to be randomly tested for COVID from time to time.

Junior Kirklyn Young said she felt like the school is taking good precautions.

“I am very grateful that we can be on campus,” Young said. “I feel safe since we all wear our masks, socially distance and practice safe habits.”

Junior Ann Grace Donahue said the faculty is doing an adequate job in response to the COVID-19 crisis.

“I think the administration is doing a good job with the protocol for COVID. I don’t worry as much about it when I’m on campus,” Donahue said.

Many students say MSMS is faring better than others based on anecdotes from their home districts. Junior Jabari Stokes believes that MSMS is doing better than his home school.

“MSMS is handling COVID quite well compared to my old school,” Stokes said. “If there are any positive cases, contacts are being notified expeditiously, and the ones with a confirmed positive are being quarantined.”

Young also feels that her previous school did a poor job handling the pandemic compared to MSMS.

“MSMS is doing a very good job handling COVID. My old school did not enforce masks and had a very large outbreak at one point. On the other hand, MSMS has had very few positive cases,” Young said.

The general consensus of the student body is MSMS is doing a good job at making students feel safe while staying on campus.

“I think the actions that the school has taken are working pretty well, and it is apparent through how far we have gotten through the school year with no major outbreaks. I don’t believe there is much else they could do,” Donahue said.