Addison Rae’s new music video is nothing to be ‘Obsessed’ about

Emily Lin

TikTok star Addison Rae released her first single, “Obsessed” on Mar. 19, 2021.

Henry Sanders, Student Life Editor

The era of TikTok music is upon us, unfortunately, and it’s in the form of Addison Rae. 

Musicians of undiscovered talent have spread their work and brand throughout the world thanks to trendy TikTok ‘sounds’ – shortened versions of songs. However, this new era also brings with it its own form of talentless idols whose popularity has been gained through talentless dances. Rae’s newest music video ‘Obsessed’ is an example of what happens when bad artists gain too much exposure. 

‘Obsessed’ has gained 15 million views in only two weeks. In recent months, It’s become a trend for TikTokers to branch out of their usual content and participate in the music industry. Popular TikTok idols like Dixie D’amelio, Jaden Hossler and Nessa Barrett have released their own versions of music to YouTube and Spotify alike. Without a doubt, ‘Obsessed’ is the worst by far and does not represent the creative side of TikTok music.

Musically, the song is a disaster. Rae’s voice incorporates zero level of range and brings no personality along with it. As the verses, hooks and chorus transition, Rae’s voice stays the same throughout the track and never changes its tone or range, impressing the song with an overly autotuned, annoying vocal sound. 

Accompanying Addison’s disappointing vocals are the even more disappointing lyrics. Imagine a 12 year old writing a song in the shower that they will forget in about two days. That’s basically the same level of depth as ‘Obsessed’’s songwriting. As the airy hook falls into the loud and dramatic chorus, the dissatisfying transition opens its mouth to say, “You say you’re obsessed with me / So I took a second and I said me too.” 

Thankfully, the following lines really save the composition as Rae draws her notes out in an attempt to make up for terrible songwriting. Instead of changing her style once throughout the song, Rae sticks to her talking pace and follows with the lines, “I’m obsessed with me – e – e as much as you.” It’s not an exaggeration to say the extra ‘e’ sound that repeats three times is the most ear-numbing sound in the song. It feels uninvited and completely ruins the little buildup the song had going for it.

Despite the profound and deep meaning contained in the lyrics, is Addison right to say the same ones criticizing her for her lack of musical imagination are the same ones who are obsessed with her? But who wants to be obsessed with a song that’s actually bad? Lyrics like, “I did my hair like waves on the beach” and “My heels so high might get a nose bleed” capture perfectly the lack of talent overrated TikTok “artists” deliver to fans so deluded with pride in their idols they can’t tell the difference between good and bad music. The fans are at fault for bad music. In Addison Rae’s case, and other famous artists in general, the fans have created a blanket of security that allows Addison the comfort in knowing whatever level of music, good or bad, she releases will always be welcomed with open arms by her supporters. 

The fans are the ones obsessed.