The Vision’s 2020 Mock Election

MSMS+hosted+a+mock+election+for+MSMS+students+and+teachers+in+light+of+the+upcoming+election.+

Carter Moore

MSMS hosted a mock election for MSMS students and teachers in light of the upcoming election.

Carter Moore, Multimedia Editor

In the midst of the election season, The Vision hosted its own mock election over the past few days. Beginning Wednesday, Oct. 28, students and faculty were able to cast votes on the same issues that will be featured on the official ballots across the state. A total of 130 votes were cast.

Uniquely, this election was held electronically, with voters submitting their ballots through a Microsoft Form, rather than on paper ballots. Editor-in-Chief Muneebah Umar explained the decision to continue with the election despite the virtual format.

“I think it’s really important that MSMS students have the chance to voice their opinions since not everyone can vote,” Umar said. “This is a really important year and I’m glad The Vision organized something like this.”

Questions featured include choices for the President, Mississippi’s Senate seat, alongside ballot initiatives for the legalization of medical marijuana, alterations to the method of electing state officials and the new flag candidate.

While these votes bear no impact on the real election, these results indicate the general leaning of the faculty and student body on the major questions of this election.

Democrats Joe Biden and Mike Espy won by landslides among both students and faculty. All three ballot measures were also decided by wide margins. The MSMS students and faculty chose to support Initiative 65, remove the dual-step process for electing state officials and adopt the proposed flag. 

Luke Bowles, Managing Editor of “The Vision” and one of the election’s organizers, noted difficulties caused by the new format.

“It was pretty difficult doing it all virtual since last year it was a lot easier to encourage people to vote,” Bowles said. “The turnout was alright, but I wish a lot more students would’ve voted since only about half did.”

As most MSMS students will not be eligible to vote in the official election, the mock election provided an opportunity for many to get a taste of making political decisions. Senior Jackson Flowers saw it as an opportunity to learn more about the election process and major political questions pending in this election.

“It felt interesting to vote since I’m 17, so I haven’t actually voted before,” Flowers said. “I also realized I need to educate myself more about Mississippi politics, as I hadn’t heard of the marijuana part until I read it on the mock ballot.”

Junior Dylan Griffith found the experience enjoyable and beneficial.

“I thought the mock election was a smooth and easy process,” Griffith said. “It felt good to express my opinion for the upcoming election.