Class of 2022 officially welcomed to MSMS at Ceremony of Lights

Courtesy of Taylor Lewis

Guest speaker Taylor Szasz-Green shares her insight with the MSMS Class of 2022.

Kate McElhinney, News Editor

Albeit two months later than expected, the junior class of 2022 sold their souls and signed their lives away to MSMS in Rent Auditorium for Ceremony of Lights. The students remaining on campus dressed up and masked up for the solemn ceremony, held on Sunday, Oct. 25, both in person and over Zoom.

Ceremony of Lights was postponed from early August to late October because the first quarter was virtual only. However, junior Reagan Ishee expressed her gratitude at the ceremony’s welcoming and reassuring ambiance, regardless of its delay.

“I thought the ceremony was very peaceful and made me feel really at home here at MSMS. It felt a little strange hearing about what we’d experience even though we’ve technically already completed the first quarter,” Ishee said. “[The Ceremony] really solidified in my mind that I am here and I deserve it. The alumni really helped me feel more confident that I will be okay, even when I don’t feel like it.”

Juniors, administration and faculty gathered for the event, but seniors and parents had the option to watch over Zoom. Five alumni, including the Class of 2020’s Alisha Burch, attended as guest speakers. A few Emissaries that lived around Columbus or were staying on campus came to usher the ceremony as well. Emissary Jack Standard shared his thoughts on the event.

“All things considered, I’d say it went fairly well with all the restrictions in place,” Standard said. “It was unfortunate that not all the juniors were able to be here in person to sign the pledge and the senior class had to watch a Zoom webinar, but I’m not sure what else could have been done with the pandemic still around.”

While Standard felt that the pandemic negatively impacted the ceremony, many juniors, like Raeed Kabir, felt differently.

“It was a somber experience, and I do not feel like COVID-19 took anything from the experience,” Kabir said. “I’m very excited for these next two years.”

After being fed tales of immense drama and suspense, the juniors’ expectations of Ceremony of Lights cast a veil of mystery over the event. While junior Tyler Hung was disappointed at the lack of such theatrics, he felt that the event was still inspiring.

“The ceremony did not live up to the expectations as the rumors passed down by the seniors and other graduating classes,” Hung said. “However, the speakers did deliver inspirational and supportive speeches.”