10 Things You Didn’t Know About 2015-16 Teacher of the Year!

Joy Carino, Copy Editor

Now in her 13th year of teaching math in locations ranging from Hollandale to Morocco, Lauren Zarandona was voted the 2015-2016 Mississippi School from Mathematics and Science Teacher of the Year. Zarandona, or “Mrs. Z,” is an active member of the MSMS community and a teacher beloved by many of her students.

Zarandona, originally from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., earned her undergraduate degree at Rhodes College in physics and her master’s degree in curriculum instruction through the Mississippi Teacher Core at the University of Mississippi. From there, she taught in the Hallandale school district for five years.

Zarandona found out about MSMS at a teacher workshop after her second year of teaching. Mississippi University for Women CHAMPS workshop included MSMS mathematics instructors Claudia Carter (retired in 2015) and her colleague Debbie Fancher (retired in 2008). Fancher told Zarandona that she acted like an MSMS student.

Now, Zarandona has been teaching at MSMS for eight years. This year, she teaches Algebra II, Math Modeling, and AP Statistics I and II. She sponsors the school’s Do Something Club, directs and teaches in the MSMS Summer Enrichment Camps and coordinates Mu Alpha Theta contests. Zarandona is also active throughout the Columbus community, organizing math-related outreach opportunities to local middle schools and coordinating the Math Superstars program for local elementary schools.

Zarandona hopes that her students gain “an opportunity to work with me and each other to learn more than they knew before.” In addition, many students feel that Zarandona is always available and can be not just as a teacher but as a friend. Senior Lauren Scott said, “Mrs. Z is so caring and compassionate. Plus, she loves her students and her field. I mean, she dressed up as me for Halloween!”

You may have had Zarandona as your math teacher or hung out in her classroom during Wednesday night math tutorials, but do you know these fun facts about the 2015-2016 MSMS Teacher of the Year?

1. Mrs. Z actually likes music. She plays the flute and sings (in church choir where, according to her, singing belongs. She also prefers indie rock music, is excited about new Southern bands, and will gladly take indie rock suggestions (e.g. Spoon or Decemberists)
  2. Mrs. Z loves baking.
  3. The Z family really likes Coffeehouse on 5th.
  4. Mrs. Z has two kids: Isaac and Silas. She is also the oldest of three girls.
  5. Though originally from Fort Lauderdale and having graduated in a small town just outside of Seattle, Mrs. Z’s home in Columbus is currently the one place in her life that she’s lived in for the longest period of time.
  6. Mrs. Z favorite book: “Pride and Prejudice.” Furthermore, she thought that “Pride and Prejudice Zombies” was very interesting. It’s ridiculous.”
  7. Mrs. Z ran cross country and track in Division 3.
  8. If one ice cream could describe Mrs. Z, it would be mint chocolate chip as green is her favorite color. In addition, she said, “I stand out in some ways, like how mint is what you notice in the flavor right away.”
  9. Mrs. Z is one of the teachers who founded the MSMS Summer Enrichment Camp. She loves it because “it’s great to meet prospective MSMS students in 7th or 8th grade.”
  10. Mrs. Z is currently following the TV show “Supergirl.”