‘Sistas Speak’ a beacon of light in a world of bias

Sistas+Speak

Aastha Banga

Guest speakers Jordan Mays, Lavonne Harris and Glenda Richardson spoke at the event.

Gracie Rowland, Staff Writer

Students of MSMS and members of the Columbus community gathered in Hogarth last Tuesday to listen to a panel of three prominent black women of the Columbus area as they shared their experiences, advice and outlooks on what it means to be a black woman in America.

Juniors Makenna Riley and Madison Huddleston planned and hosted the event. They landed on the name “Sistas Speak” to connote a sense of open communication and to reference the importance and history of the word “sista” in the African American community. When asked about what inspired the event, Huddleston said “[black women] not being in the spotlight when we need to be is something that is indicative of what our society’s values are and how they’re the wrong thing.”

The panel featured women of a variety of ages, a detail by Huddleston and Riley intended to show inclusivity. The panel included Glenda Richardson, director of community outreach in Columbus; Lavonne Harris, director of the Columbus NAACP; and Jordyn Mays, a senior at the Mississippi University for Women. The evening began with quote: “To tell the story of a black woman in America is to tell the story of America.”

The event was structured as a question and answer forum. Topics such as the hypersexualization of black women, the Mississippi education system, the disparagement between predominantly black and white schools, the importance of self-accountability and gender roles were discussed.

When asked about the trials black women face daily, Richardson stated, “Black women have not had it easy but have managed to rise above.” “Black women were raped, beaten, sold into slavery, but still hoped for a better day.”

Sistas Speak
Aastha Banga
Juniors Makenna Riley and Maddison Huddleston planned and organized “Sistas Speak.”

Statistically, black women suffer more than any other demographic and are repeatedly discriminated against. There are more than 70,000 missing black women and girls in the United States, and that number is not decreasing. Niyah Lockett talked about the lack of news coverage on the issue, and how it indicates deeper issues.

The hope and determination of those most oppressed is incredible. In fact, black women have the highest graduation rate compared to other demographics. However, another statistic reveals the disparity in gender in the black community. Cameron Thomas discussed the fact that black males have the lowest graduation rate, a sharp contrast to the previous statistic. He stated, “Education is not pushed in our community. They have no black male role models other than the black male basketball players they see on TV. When it’s time to buckle down and get their education they think it’s too late, so they resort to instantaneous satisfaction.”

Knowledge is power, and our Mississippi education system lacks both funding and equality, creating a disparity of power. Richardson said, “Education is key. Without it, you are limited. Women often come to me hopeless. Education expands the mind. Think about the salary difference. If you are not educated how can you communicate what you need.”

In a country where public school teachers are far less diverse than their students, and white teachers are more likely to doubt the prospects of black students, black children are left behind, and the loss of any child is the loss of a better world. Black kids are missing opportunities and confidence because of teachers’ preconceived notions.

Alicia Argrett shared a chilling anecdote about the subject. She recalled the environment at her home school, and how teachers would tell her that she must have come from the more affluent part of her community because of her intelligence and demeanor. Argrett was startled at this assumption, as it indicated that teachers characterized students based on their presumed socioeconomic situation and location.

I’m so glad that I attended “Sistas Speak,” for it broadened my worldview and revealed the depth of prejudice directed at those around me. Huddleston and Riley stated that there will be another “Sista Speaks,” and I urge everyone to attend.