The Season to Give Thanks: Thanksgiving Options From MSMS

Michelle McCullum, Staff Writer

Thanksgiving is a holiday that is normally skipped over when it comes to decorating — or the selection is rather minuscule compared to Halloween and Christmas decorations. Many retailers tend to forget that before giving gifts, we must remember to give thanks. That is what the Thanksgiving holiday is about, unless you are Ms. Hester, the economics teacher at MSMS, who believes that “it is a holiday about food. Family too, but there is the food.”

At the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science, students openly express many things for which they are thankful. “I am thankful for my life, friends, family and being here at MSMS,” said Damare Baker, a junior. 

“There are some pretty amazing people here; the teachers genuinely care for us, the counselors are trying to help us prepare for college and the students help each other regardless of what may be going on. Sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming, but knowing that there will always be another person who understands that we can talk to helps and for that I am grateful, ” said senior Sara Conwell.

“I am thankful for a week of no school,” junior Sutton Klein said. Some students planned to sleep in or do school work while away from school.

“I plan to spend my break eating and working on essays,” junior Rachel Watson said. Some students, like junior Samuel Williams, have very interesting ways of viewing Thanksgiving holiday as they describe their plans. “I plan to catch up on sleep, eat food, not celebrate the genocide of the native people of this land and maybe have some ham,” Williams said.

Whether the plans be to travel cross country or stay home and sleep, the MSMS students and faculty show both their gratitude for many things and readiness to enjoy Thanksgiving break.