Editorial: Jim Hood should be Mississippi’s next governor

U.S. Mission Geneva/Eric Bridiers [Public domain]

Democrat Jim Hood is the best choice for Mississippi’s next governor.

Editorial Staff, The Vision

The Vision is edited and produced by students attending the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science. The views expressed are solely those of the student editorial staff and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of MSMS or its administrators, faculty, newspaper adviser or other staff.

Election season is a time to consider who will not only best represent the people but also who will take steps toward creating a better future for us and those who will come after. 

In Mississippi, a historically red state, this gubernatorial election has become more competitive than in any MSMS student’s lifetime, and one clear candidate has proven to have the best interest in mind for everyone: Jim Hood.

Our education system, one of the most important topics of this election, could improve immensely under Hood. By implementing a statewide pre-kindergarten program, investing more in public education and increasing teacher pay, Hood will bring our education system one step closer to being “the foundation of economic development and Mississippi’s success.” This isn’t about political parties; it’s about investing in the future of Mississippi.

Although Hood’s opponent, Tate Reeves, has made similar claims to improve education, as the state’s Lieutenant Governor for nearly eight years now, he has failed to address these issues and make progress. Instead, he has been supporting vouchers and increased funding for charter schools. This takes away from public schools and impedes upon the growing needs of public school students.

With a quality education, students will go on to join the workforce, but Mississippi’s top students are leaving the state to do so. This “brain drain” stems from a lack of opportunity and is slowing down our state’s growth rate. Between Mississippi and our four neighboring states, we have the lowest job growth. In order to combat this issue, Hood plans to implement more programs that offer career and technical training as well as tuition-free community college. 

Reeves might support the idea and purpose of these programs, but he has expressed multiple times that he is unwilling to raise taxes at all costs–the future of Mississippi included. Nobody wants to pay higher taxes, but this is a necessary compromise to help ensure our state grows in the right direction.

This is a direct hit to our economy. We’re growing up in a Mississippi that has never fully recovered from the Great Recession, and we should have been doing something about it a long time ago. 

In a time when our education system is failing, our economy is stagnant and our opportunities are limited, we need to act now. If you care about the future of Mississippi, you need to vote Jim Hood for governor this Tuesday, Nov. 5.