Bryant: Boris Johnson’s suspension of parliament is stifling debate on Brexit

Boris Johnson is stifling Brexit. [johnhemming [CC BY-SA 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)]]

Chandler Bryant, Staff Writer

Boris Johnson, the prime minister of the United Kingdom, sent a letter to all lawmakers on Aug. 28 informing of his plans to suspend—or prorogue—parliamentary action for five weeks. 

Johnson’s sudden plan came after members of Parliament called for the release of the government’s private communications on Brexit and the rejection of Johnson’s snap election. Despite what Johnson may want you to believe, this is an obvious retaliation on a rebellious Parliament. Johnson is intentionally avoiding scrutiny from members of Parliament. This is inherently undemocratic. 

The proroguing of Parliament means that members are required to stop all parliamentary work for the duration of the suspension. This brings a halt to any bills or debates that are taking place during the suspension. In the letter, Johnson told lawmakers that Parliament had been in session for much too long, and it was time for a break. However, this suspension has come under criticism for being a ploy to stifle Parliament’s debate on Brexit. Johnson has set the plan to last from Sept. 9 to Oct. 14, 2019. The reopening of Parliament comes just before the Oct. 31 deadline for Britain to leave the European Union (EU). This leaves Parliament with very little time to work on either negotiating a deal for the UK to exit the EU or an extension of the Brexit deadline.

Supporters of Johnson’s prorogation have said that the suspension is not out of the ordinary. It is customary for Parliament to have a three-week suspension preceding the Queen’s speech next month. While a short prorogation of Parliament is normal, Johnson has extended this period to over a month. This will be the longest suspension since 1945. Johnson is abusing this power in order to support his do-or-die Brexit policy. He has promised that Britain will leave the EU on Oct. 31, with or without a deal.

Many economists have said that the implications of Britain leaving the EU without a deal would have detrimental impacts on the country’s economy. Instead of heeding the warning of economists, Johnson has demonstrated that he is more interested in delivering on his promise than preserving the stability of the British economy. 

Leaving the European Union with no deal would mean Britain instantly leaving the common market, which guarantees that trade between EU members has no tariffs. This would also affect the UK’s massive tourism industry. A no-deal Brexit would discourage tourists around the world from coming into the UK due to the number of complications associated with traveling in and out of the EU. Some effects of this may even be felt by MSMS students going on the Spring Break EF tours to England and France. The already expensive trip could cost more due to the dissolution of the Freedom of Movement Rules for people traveling inside the EU. This is a perfect example of how a no-deal Brexit will have everlasting negative effects on the UK’s economy.

On top of being anti-democratic, Johnson’s extreme extension of the prorogation is unlawful. On Sept. 11, 2019, the Scottish courts ruled that Johnson’s advice to the Queen to suspend parliament was unlawful. The three judges gave the reasoning that “it had the purpose of stymying government.” While the court ruled that Johnson’s prorogation was unlawful, the government was quick to appeal to the case to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court is holding a three-day hearing from Sept. 17 to 19 to listen to the appeals. This will ultimately decide the fate of Johnson’s last desperate attempt to push through a catastrophic no-deal Brexit. “I think the Supreme Court is highly likely, or certainly, let’s put it this way, equally likely to follow in the direction of the highest court in Scotland,” the Shadow Attorney General Shami Chakrabarti said. Depending on the result of this hearing, Johnson could be days away from facing what might be his biggest failure as Prime Minister yet. If the court does indeed rule that his advice to the Queen was unlawful, Johnson will have a chance to reverse the suspension. However, the government’s legal counsel, Lord Richard Keen, refused to comment on whether Johnson would try to prorogue parliament again

In the upcoming days and weeks, Johnson will have a decision that could potentially start a financial crisis worse than the 2008 recession. Johnson’s decision will hold the future of everyone in the world. Will he give in to economists’ warnings and the Labour Party’s demand for an extension of the deadline to leave the EU, or will he continue to support a no-deal Brexit? For the sake of anyone who cares about the stability of our global economy and the future of a strong and united Europe, it had better be the former.