Political clubs ‘drive’ students to register to vote

Gina Nguyen

The voter registration drive is intended to encourage students to ‘get out and vote.’

Gina Nguyen, Editor-in-Chief

The three political clubs here at MSMS–Young Democrats, Young Republicans and Young Independents–put together a voter registration drive last Thursday, Sept. 5 in the lobby of Hooper Academic Building. With a plan to encourage the existing voter base to become more politically involved, they were able to register 13 students to vote in the upcoming state general election, which is set to take place on Tuesday, Nov. 5. 

To register, one must be 18 years old by the election date and a U.S. citizen. Typically, people would go to the circuit clerk’s office and request a form, but the students were provided with these forms at the drive. After filling out the required fields, the Young Democrats gathered the forms, sealed them and mail it back to the voter’s home county clerk.

This drive was an idea brought by Young Democrats Sponsor, Chuck Yarborough.

“Voting is the most essential column of democracy,” Reece said. “Without, we are nothing more than a herd of sheep being carted around by elites. Voting is our voice as people; it is our lifeline.”

“Holding things such as the voter drive at school spreads awareness of politics and the importance of voting to young people,” said senior Britton Phillips, the President of Young Independents. “This is especially important to seniors because the majority of us will be eighteen before the next presidential election.”

Throughout the day, pairs of students in the political clubs volunteered to man the table, encouraging passersby to register to vote and have their voices heard. 

“It basically gave students an opportunity to go out there and register to vote when they’re too busy or too lazy to do it. It’s an easy way for students to register,” said Kresha Patel, a Young Democrats member. “Personally, I wouldn’t register myself unless an event like this came up simply because I wouldn’t set aside time to do so.”

“I think this could be a form of outreach,” said Xavier Black, a Young Independent. “It’s good for young people to be active in politics and to have a voice in democracy.”

Many eligible students, including seniors David Barber and Alden Wiygul, took advantage of this drive because of how easy and accessible it was.

“It’s our right as citizens to participate and have our voices heard in the government,” said Barber, one of the students who registered to vote. “It was happening right there and took two minutes, so why not?”

“It was a great opportunity to register because I actually don’t know where I would go to do it in my town,” Wiygul said. “This opportunity made it a lot easier. Everyone should at least have the opportunity even if right now you don’t want to vote. Maybe when it elections get closer, people will develop stronger feelings about the candidates.”

After the state elections, the political clubs will work together to host another voter drive in the near future. This drive will emphasize the presidential primary elections in March 2020.