Students Form New MSMS Band: Suite 546

Courtesy of Suite 546

Deven Martin, Arts Editor

Abby Perry and Joy Cariño are musicians in a school saturated in the academically gifted. It is often said that those who are proficient with music can have the same said for their academics. These two embody that saying perfectly: not only are they top notch students but their musicianship is incredible.

Joy is  gifted in both academics and music and is involved in the school band where she plays piano for the band’s various jazz, blues and pop arrangements.

She has been playing piano for nine years, starting at the age of eight. She is also a part of the The Vision newspaper staff.

Abby, the band’s vocalist, started learning music in the third grade through playing the piano. She started guitar lessons in the 5th grade because “I honestly wanted to be Taylor Swift.” She spent a long time playing without singing but then eventually began vocals. As a freshman, Abby began to write music and now has an entire notebook of songs. When she came to MSMS she began playing with Joy. “(Joy” is very wonderful and talented at everything and has my same musical taste,” explains Abby.

The band’s name, Suite 546, comes from where they live, dorm rooms 514 and 516. They just released their first song, “You’re the One,” with the help of Navin Solomon, the band’s audio technician. They have now been playing and writing together for more than a semester. “It’s a great feeling to be able to take a break from school work and let some stress out by jamming with Abby,” says Joy.  

They are sharing their songs with the public through YouTube and you can find their first song here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpAvhjMDoRs