MSMS Handed First Defeat in Interstellar Math Competition

Christian Donoho/The Vision

MSMS students gather in Dr. Curtis’s classroom before tutorials to compete in the Interstellar Math Competition.

Christian Donoho, News Editor

This week marked MSMS’s first defeat in the Interstellar Math Competition sponsored by Mu Alpha Theta by the hand of the “Fightin’ Frogs” from Maret Washington. MSMS has been undefeated until this competition with a final score of 24 – MSMS and 31 – Maret.

According to Lauren Zarandona, the sponsor of the interstellar math competition, MSMS’s success up until this point can be attributed to “a lot of people who are willing to work really hard for the entire half hour contest.”

Each member of the competition is given 30 minutes to complete eight questions worth one point each on various kinds of math. The final team score is composed of the top five competitors on the team.  So far this year, MSMS has been very successful and won two competitions.

Dozens of students who competed occupied the Hooper computer lab as well as Dr. Curtis’s classroom. As the timer on all the computer screens counted down and expired, students received their first questions and it was not long before they began to viciously type away on their calculators. As the team’s overall sum rose and students began exiting the rooms, the Blue Waves’ score settled at 24.

Many of the competitors feel that the competitions are a good way for them to improve their overall math skills.

“Participating in the competition is a great way to determine your strengths and weaknesses in various aspects of mathematics—particularly in probability. I don’t feel stressed while participating because I know there are quite a few mathematical wizards in this room, and they seem to hold their own with respect to our competitors,” said Wise, a junior who participated in the competition against Maret.

Other members find themselves under more pressure to help bring the scores up during the competition.

“I know I’m not one of the brightest math students and so at the end of the competition I’m happy to have gotten at least two right this week. It’s stressful when you think you have the right answer and it ends up being wrong,” said Ashley Dobbins, a senior participant.

Mu Alpha Theta has more Interstellar Math Competitions and even more different competitions after Interstellar concludes. If anyone new would like to participate, send an email to Jacob McDonald, Nathan Barlow or Lauren Zarandona for more information.