MSMS Collects Change for Blood Cancer Patients

+Goen+Hall+Director+hall+director+LaToya+Bledsoe+and+the+Pennies+for+Patients+collection+boxes.

Joy Carino/ The Vision

Goen Hall Director hall director LaToya Bledsoe and the Pennies for Patients collection boxes.

Joy Carino, Copy Editor

If you haven’t yet noticed the cardboard boxes lining the front desks in Goen and Frazer, the Residence Life staff would like to convince you to consider giving spare change to the Pennies for Patients fund. Sponsored by Goen Hall Director LaToya Bledsoe, Pennies for Patients raises money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), the “largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding research, finding cures and ensuring access to treatments for blood cancer patients.” In 2014-2015, the LLS partnered with 29,000 schools across the U.S. and raised at least $27 million to fund therapies and patient services for people with leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, and myeloma. MSMS is doing its part by contributing to the cause.

MSMS has participated in Pennies for Patients even before Bledsoe became Hall Director. Bledsoe has been in charge of Pennies for Patients for the past five years, and hopes to keep it going. Previously, the program was a friendly competition between classrooms to see which class would gain the most money. Since then, the program has shifted more towards residential life involvement.

However, Bledsoe began to “really advocate” the program after MSMS had an experience with one leukemia patient. Jason Engel, class of 2011, is a leukemia survivor from Hernando. Engel received an undergraduate degree in biological engineering/ biomedical concentration with an emphasis in pre-med. He is currently enrolled in a MD/PhD program at the University of Mississippi.

“It’s all about service,” stated Bledsoe. “For me, one of the most important ideals of MSMS is service. This program speaks volumes for MSMS students being able to give back to cancer patients.” She also provided a link for parents to donate online.

For incentive and friendly competition, ResLife proposed that the floor in Goen and Frazer that raises the most money will earn an Ice Cream & Cupcake Social. Last year, Goen raised $87.20 while Frazier raised $34.14, adding up to a grand total of $121.34. Bledsoe hopes that this year, MSMS will reach its goal of at least $200. The boxes will be collecting change until October 23.