The Residential Life of an MSMS Student

Michelle McCullum, Social Media Editor

If you sit in the lobby of any of the dormitories, you can hear the conversations of students talking about the latest video games, football or physics homework.  Some days, if you go out at just the right time, you will see a crowd of students sitting on couches, on the floor or standing while listening to one of the residential assistants reiterate knowledge of the rules.

There are two types of hall meetings and they both occur at different times. General hall meetings take place around 10:30 p.m., and are not always mandatory. These meetings are often used to get students from the floor interact with each other or to vote for the next senator of the floor. Mandatory hall meetings take place around 9:30 p.m. Mandatory hall meetings are when “ResLife”  staff call all of the students of each hall to their respective lobby to discuss issues that have been noticed throughout the term so far.

There are two major conflicts students have with the ResLife. The first was addressed at the latest Hall Meeting. Some students sleep through room check, which occurs at 10:30 on Sunday through Thursday nights and midnight on Friday and Saturday, and cover their faces while they sleep. The ResLife staff made it known that they have to completely check to make sure that it was the student that was in their bed and not “a bunch of pillows piled under a blanket.”

The second complaint of students has never been addressed: “Why do we have to show our keys and IDs every night?” Every night at room check, students are required to show their keys and IDs, but there are no repercussions for when they are not displayed. It is claimed that it prevents students from losing them, but a fair share of students have lost them already. The biggest consequence is that they will have to be replaced. A decent amount of students has accidentally left their ID in their room after and gone to lunch without it. It would be a great deal easier if the key and ID only had to be shown on the nights of room inspection.