Senior Class Officers Host Breast Cancer Week

Juniors Linda Arnoldus, Gina Nguyen, and Catherine Li dress up as superheros for Breast Cancer Awareness week.

Courtesy of Kyle McDuffie

Courtesy of Kyle McDuffie

Courtesy of Kyle McDuffie

Jessikah Morton, Staff Writer

October is a month known as many things: the spooky season, PSAT month and even the month before the deadline for early decision applications. Most importantly, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and the MSMS senior class officers decided to dedicate a week to this cause.

On Monday, students dressed as superheroes, representing the fight against cancer. Senior class president Samantha Anderson participated in Monday’s theme of superheroes, dressing up as Batman; however, Anderson says this was more than just dressing up as a superhero.

“Breast Cancer Awareness is specifically close to my heart because my grandmother recently passed away because of it. This week was just a way that I wanted to honor survivors and show support for their fight against breast cancer.”

She discussed how she wanted the senior class to work together with things involving charities and raising awareness for different causes. Since this cause was near to her heart, she decided that this would be perfect.

On Wednesday, students dressed in pink clothing in support of the cause. Junior Gina Nguyen dressed in pink shoes and sported pink stripes on her face to honor friends’ families.

“I don’t know anyone personally that’s been affected. A lot of my friends know a lot of people who have been affected by breast cancer but for me there has been no one. I feel like breast cancer awareness is a big thing down on the coast so that’s always been a thing I’ve been supportive of.”

Wearing these colors was suppose to be something for everyone to do and experience, but Nguyen felt that many people did not participate in the awareness week which made it seem that there was a lack of unity in the cause.

On Thursday, students wore boots to “stomp out” cancer. Some students had strong feelings about this form of attire. For Junior Robyn Fleming this was more than wearing an outfit, considering her grandmother suffered from breast cancer and won the battle against it.

“She just got rid of it like last year,” Fleming said.

Flemming went on to say that her grandmother was also impacted by another kind of cancer before the breast cancer. “The first one was colon cancer, but she survived both of them. I still got my grandma,” she said.

Friday was halloween costume day where students dressed up in costumes to “scare away” cancer. Talle Wilson, a junior, dressed up as her Chemistry grade because she says it’s scary. All jokes aside, Wilson had a family member who suffered from breast cancer and lost the battle.

“My grandmother passed away not too long ago from breast cancer,” Wilson said.

Wilson participated in all the days of the awareness week, and she felt that when she participated in it she was doing something powerful and great and effectively bringing awareness to the situation.

Senior Kiera Monroe has an aunt who was diagnosed with breast cancer and has been in remission for three years. Her aunt has been a very integral part in her life, and when she found out her aunt had cancer, it affected her emotionally. Her aunt was strong for the both of them and pulled through the breast cancer and came out on top.

“She’s just an all around fun person to be around, and when I first heard the news that she had cancer, I broke down because my auntie Sherease has done a lot for me,” Monroe said. “My mom and my dad are divorced, but she stepped in when I was with my dad as a mother figure because I could not comb my hair and a lot of other stuff she was just there for me. She’s a survivor.”

Breast Cancer Awareness week has been filled with lots of people supporting the cause for breast cancer awareness and many people expressing their support for their family members or friends who either lost their battle, won it or are going through the battle now.

Jessikah Morton, Social Media Assistant

Jessikah Morton is a senior here at MSMS. She is a part of the social media section of The Vision. She is in BSA, Blue Diamondz, Spirit Squad, and she...