MSMS Juniors Tackle the PSAT

By Jtk13 - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, Link

Davan Reece, Staff Writer

It’s October, which means three things: fall leaves, Halloween, and the annual PSAT.

On Wednesday morning, while the senior class enjoyed their extra hours of slumber, the Class of 2020 walked into Hooper, settled at their desks and picked up their number two pencils. They were taking the coveted Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test, more commonly known as the PSAT.

The PSAT, which is created and distributed by the College Board and other partners, is similar to any other standardized test. The test has multiple subjects divided into sections, with most questions consisting of four multiple choices. The PSAT is used to determine students’ eligibility to become “National Merit Scholars.” Becoming a National Merit Scholar means scholarships, opportunities and, of course, bragging rights. This year, fifteen MSMS seniors were named National Merit Semifinalist, and the junior class attempted to live up to that honor.

Some students, such as Bertha Mireles, experienced an anxiety filled morning before the big test. “I woke up at 6:30 in the morning, I was eating breakfast at 7:15. From 7:15 to 7:30, I had a breakdown, it caused me to choke on my breakfast,” Mireles said.

Other students saw the test in a different light. “I was ready to go,” junior Matthew Rester said. “Normally when I take tests, I get in the zone. I get really focused and hyper-confident. During the test, it’s just the test. There are no other thoughts. I’m absorbing as much as I can and I just go. I didn’t study at all, which was enough. I took this PSAT more seriously than the practice. Math is always my best, but English is always my worst. I think I made National Merit Semifinalist.”

“I’m very confident about the math, but I am not so confident about the reading or English,” said junior Catherine Li.“It was relatively easier compared to the practice PSAT. I woke up at 7:20, ate breakfast, went to Hooper, and took the PSAT. I was doubting myself going in and I felt relieved by the end of the test, but I didn’t study as much as I would’ve liked. ”

On the subject of National Merit status, Li responded with a fast “No comment.”

PSAT scores are expected to be released on December 11.