Blue Waves Splash at Starkville Meet

At the sound of the buzzers, everyone leaps off the diving blocks.

Elijah Dosda

Elijah Dosda

Davan Reece, Staff Writer

The MSMS Blue Waves attended their third and final swim meet before qualifiers last Tuesday in Starkville.

“The meet went really well for the team,” said junior swimmer Elijah Dosda. “We’re ranking in more North State times and improving upon our work. I think we’re doing pretty well.”

Elijah Dosda
Sara Sheward’s 100M Fly

Although Dosda feels good about his performance going into the coveted North Half meet, he realizes there are mistakes that he needs fix before the big day. “I made the dumb mistake of scheduling my events and them turning out to be back-to-back-to-back without any rest in between. Considering that though, my relay segment times were really fast and I’m honestly surprised that I still went through and completed everything I signed up for.”

“The meet went well for me personally,” Cale Upton said. “I got two best times. I dropped around 3 seconds in the 200 freestyle and placed fourth. Then in the 100 breaststroke, I dropped a second and placed second.”

Upton and Dosda weren’t the only swimmers happy about the team’s performance. Junior swimmer Samantha Broussard was also pleased with the team’s talent in Starkville. “The boys finally got their relay together and did amazing for their first time swimming together! It was a shorter meet but we still did really well and had lots of fun,” she said.

Broussard is proud of the accomplishments her team has achieved. “We’ve come a long way from the first meet and are working together to get ready for North State.”

This was the final meet before the team travels to North State qualifiers. There, swimmers will compete for the best times. The four top swimmers from the North and four top swimmers from the South and four additional swimmers from both halves will face off to bring home the trophy for their home school. On top of individuals, each team will form a relay team, composed of four swimmers that compete as one.

“I’m very optimistic, really,” Dosda said. “Us guys just got our fourth relay member and our North State competition will be the best versions of all of our races that we’ve been practicing all year.”

The Blue Waves’ next meet is in Cleveland at the North State meet. They will compete at Delta State University on October 20.

About the Contributors
Davan Reece, Staff Writer

What’s up! My name is Davan Reece, and I’m a junior from Byram, Mississippi. I’m a staff writer here at The Vision. My dream college is Northwestern, where I plan on minoring in Political Science and majoring in Journalism and Broadcast Communications. After that, I plan on enrolling in Columbia Journalism.

Elijah Dosda, Staff Writer

I’m Elijah Dosda, a staff writer and my motto is “There’s always more coffee. Who needs sleep?” So far, (besides classes) I’m involved in swim, cross country, soccer, track, tennis, and of course journalism! I’m pretty involved with athletics around here and I’m a photographer and tech enthusiast. My day often encompasses me going straight from class to practice, and then straight to stressing and completing all my work until the late hours of 12:00pm. Rinse and Repeat with Coffee. If you were to conduct a study about how much my coffee intake has risen since the start of this year, the factor would probably be exponential. (I’ll die of caffeine overdose when I’m older. It’s okay. I accept my fate.)