Students Learn About Domestic Violence

Alden Wiygul

Senior Jilkiah Bryant tells the story of a woman who sought safety at the domestic violence shelter located in Meridian, Miss.

Tyler Branch, Staff Writer / Social Media Assisstant

Senior Jilkiah Bryant hosted a wellness seminar last Thursday, Sept. 13, to shed light on domestic violence. Any violent or aggressive behavior within a household is considered domestic violence.

Students watched a two-minute video showing a behind-the-curtain perspective of an abusive relationship. After the video, Bryant described the challenges of women who had experienced domestic violence. One survivor sent in a story explaining her journey from entrapment to freedom. There are “safe havens” for victims who are blessed enough to escape their abusive environments.

Bryant then informed the audience about the Care Lodge Domestic Violence Shelter in Meridian, Miss.  The Care Lodge has been open for 30 years, and they provide services for over 1000 shelter and non-shelter clients annually. They serve nine counties in East Mississippi, and they are the only certified domestic violence shelter in Mississippi Highway Patrol District VI. Care Lodge is a non-profit agency administered by a volunteer board; funding is provided through grants, the United Way and local contributions.

Alden Wiygul
Numerous students attend the domestic violence seminar Thursday evening.

“I truly enjoyed hosting the seminar. Domestic violence is often overlooked. The main purpose of this seminar was getting students to recognize there are women and men fighting for their lives every day to create a new future at the expense of an abusive partner. Those women at the safe haven will really enjoy the letters that were written. Their bravery should not go unnoticed,” Bryant said.

Students were asked to write encouraging words to the women of Care Lodge Domestic Violence Shelter. These letters will be included in care packages along with other necessities the shelter is collecting. Students were also asked to donate clothing and personal care items for the women.

Attendees of this event expressed excitement in being able to contribute to such a cause, even through an action as simple as card-making.

“I was excited to write the letters for the women and to tell them that even though their situation seems hard right now, they will come out of it and be in the most amazing position because they will be survivors and will be stronger,” said senior Kerrigan Clark.  

“To me, the seminar was very moving and what made it even better was writing personal letters to the women at the safe haven. Being able to encourage women in situations like those really made my day,” said senior Khytavia Fleming.

October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Hitting, yelling and stalking are all examples of domestic violence. Domestic abuse victims face these obstacles and many other difficulties every day. Millions of people are affected by this behavior every year.