Lewis: My Problems with Gun Control

By Anthony Crider (Charlottesville "Unite the Right" Rally) [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Right-wing protesters at Charlottesville, VA.

Timothy Lewis, Staff Writer

Contrary to popular belief, not all those who are against gun control are conservative white guys.

The Second Amendment to the Constitution states that “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”  Now then, one might ask, how does the right to bear arms preserve a free state? How is the right to carry arms still relevant to today’s society?

As we all can agree, the United States is plagued with social problems.  The justice system racially discriminates against African-Americans and Hispanics on a daily basis.  Just a few weeks ago, a black man standing in his own backyard was murdered by Sacramento police because they believed he was “pointing a gun at them.”  The object he was holding was, in fact, his cellphone.

Racism also comes in more unofficial forms.  The popularity of right-wing groups, such as neo-Nazis, has skyrocketed in recent years.  These rightist groups are overwhelmingly composed of alienated white males, who have been brainwashed into hating the “other.”  That “other” can include feminists, gays, black people, Hispanics and whatever else have you. Attacks from these groups have also become more common.  Blaze Bernstein, a gay Jewish college student, was stabbed to death while visiting his parents on his winter break. The perpetrator was a member of the “Atomwaffen” group, a notoriously violent neo-Nazi organization.

The perpetuation of police racism as well as the emergence of neo-Nazism should be enough to convince anyone of the necessity of arming the populace. The Founding Fathers envisioned that the state may become corrupt and tyrannical if the people are disarmed, which is in my opinion exactly what will happen in the future if strict gun control measures are enacted.  Strict gun control measures will require even more heavy policing to enforce, thus disproportionately affecting minorities like African Americans. It boggles my mind as to how liberals can simultaneously hold the positions of “The government and the justice system are racist” and “We must let the government and the police disarm us.” It’s shooting yourself in the foot!  Conservatives are even worse, since most refuse to believe systemic racism exists and want to further militarize the police force.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in favor of common sense gun regulation.  But to pass gun control laws anywhere near those of, say, Japan, will inevitably lead to even more minority deaths.  Neo-Nazi violence must be opposed by force, and gun control will prevent minorities from doing just that and retaliating.  In order to keep the state and far-right groups in line, the general populace MUST be armed and ready to oppose tyranny.