Forgotten Stories Bring Magic to Syrian Refugees with Movie Night

Micah Robinson

Satistisfied costomers leave the auditorioum while picking up trash.

In the Forgotten Stories Club meetings, there have been talks off promoting activism for the crises in Syria, so the club started another fundraiser in the hopes of making improvements in the world.

Thursday night, the club showed “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” in hopes of attracting students to donate to the people in Syria suffering from civil war and humanitarian crises.

“This club is about helping people get through tragedies that usually never seem to get attention through activism and raising money for them,” explained the founder of Forgotten Stories, Yousef Abu-Salah.

The club picked the movie according to the sponsor of the club, Dr. Kayla Hester, because the movie “seemed it would go over well with this group of students and its new. It just came out on DVD.”

All the proceeds minus the cost for food went straight to Mercy USA, “the only organization [the club found] that gives the most money to the actual cause,” Abu-Salah stated.

At the end of the event, the club had accomplished their goal of having more people show up than the 14 people at the Malala event. In fact junior Reyhan Grims noted that 22 students attended. The Fantastic Beast movie night raised $148,  including many donations for the Syrian fundraiser.

The movie night was deemed a success with more donations than movie goers, proof that the club did get some students to become an activist.