Math Department ‘Reaches Out’ in Yazoo

Courtesy of Lauren Zarandona

MSMS students were hard at work helping children in this year’s Math Outreach program.

Micah Robinson, Staff Writer

For many students math is a tough subject to understand, but the Math Outreach service project ensures a better foundation for young students. For many students Math Outreach is important for teachers and students to see that someone is trying to help them.

The head of the project is Mrs. Zarandona, a passionate teacher who starts planning for the outreach over the summer. Over the summer, Mrs.Z started working with some students in McCoy Elementary with some teachers from Yazoo County. Those teachers contacted her again in February for some new ideas and strategies to help their students.

Usually an Outreach is within the schools area so schools in Caledonia, West Point and Columbus are visited, but this time the Outreach took place in Yazoo County.

“I feel it’s important to help children understand math, especially in areas with lower test scores and struggling students reach success,” said Haley Hsu, Mu Alpha Theta vice president.

Activities depended on the grade, from third to fifth, with the objectives such as fractions, standard/expanded form, patterns and powers of ten. But in some cases MSMS students had to improvise the lessons and activities; one particular case involved Haley’s group of fifth graders who had a weak understanding of fractions, not a fifth grade objective.

Haley explained the trouble her group with these words: “I use the analogy of a Jenga tower with only one leg. It is such a weak foundation that it can knock over very easily.”

Joining the Math Outreach is just a matter of passion and want. The kind of students who go are the ones who like to serve others, who are good at problem solving, or just like math.

“When it comes down to it, often times people do like math, yes,” Mrs. Z explained, “but  they realize also that they want every kid to have the best math teaching possible and they want to be a part of making that a reality.”

Mrs. Z added, “If any juniors didn’t hear about this opportunity or want to know more, please email me so that we can start preparing for next year.”

By contacting Mrs.Z other teachers could learn how to do a Math Outreach of their own or help establish a connection through distance learning equipment, Skype, to teach new strategies or activities for the young students.