Amber Jackson Places Third in State Poetry Out Loud Competition

Daphne Jackson

Amber Jackson (2nd from left) receives her third place award at the statewide Poetry Out Loud competition.

Vivienne Tenev, Assistant Photography Editor

On March 9, junior Amber Jackson went to Jackson, Mississippi to represent MSMS in the statewide Poetry Out Loud Competition, placing third. She recited “The Consent” by Howard Nemerov, “Ways of Talking” by Ha Jin, and “Often rebuked, yet always back returning” by Emily Bronte.

Daphne Jackson
Wrishija Roy (left) and Amber Jackson (right) with Amber’s 3rd Place Plaque

Amber Jackson was the only student competing from MSMS.

Understandably nervous before the competition, Amber said, “ I came into state slightly worried and self-conscious, but I was just so excited to hear everyone’s interpretation of their pieces. I honestly was not expecting to win or go far, so I really just wanted to have fun–which I did! But yeah, It was exciting in the fact that everyone there had a love for poetry or art and felt like they needed to express something beautiful and real through words. My anxiety calmed down when I realized the other competitors were as nervous as me, and that that we were kind of like-minded. Overall, It was a great experience, I placed third, and I got to meet some really cool peeps.”  

To prepare for the competition, Amber says she went through the poems she would recite, trying to connect with them personally so that she could present them in a way they people would be able to understand and empathize with.

She also had some outside help for tips and morale. Amber said, “Wrishija [senior president of the Poetry out Loud club] was an AMAZING help throughout this entire process, as far as giving moral support and perspective. I also met with a theater teacher from MUW, who gave me advice on how to improve my stage presence, confidence, and diction.”